European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - April 2, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 2 the stars and stripes wednesday april 2, 1986 news update fund established for libel suit Washington a six senators including sen. Edward m. Kennedy have contributed this year to a fund set up by sen. Paul Laxalt to pay for his libel suit against a California newspaper Chain according to a statement released by the fund. The statement was filed with the Senate ethics committee according to Laxalt s daughter Mich Elle Laxalt who created the fund last year. Laxalt a Nevada Republican and one of presi Dent Reagan s closest friends sued after publication of a 1983 Story in the Sacramento Bee that said the internal Revenue service had evidence that skim Ming occurred at a Carson City Casino when it was owned by the Laxalt family in the Early 1970s. Skimming is the practice of illegally diverting profits before the Money can be taxed. 12th tainted wine victim Dies Genoa Italy a Italy s poisoned wine scandal claimed its 12th victim when 52-year-old Fermino Minar died in a Hospital after lapsing into a coma a week ago police reported. Doctors of the san Martino Hospital said that tests showed significant Levels of Methyl alcohol in the Man s blood. Italian authorities have seized Large amounts of Low Grade wine suspected of containing a High level of Methyl alcohol which can cause blindness coma or death if consumed in Large quantities. The government also has ordered thorough checks on exported wine. Methyl alcohol is used for raising the alcohol strength of Low Grade wine. Haifa dozen people remain hospitalized in North Ern Italy after drinking wine laced with Methyl alcohol according to police. Property sales Wiesbaden Germany the defense re utilization and marketing service has scheduled sales at several Sites throughout Germany in april. Bob Hirschman chief of the Region s marketing Divi Sion said most of sales begin at 9 . The Sale dates location and phone numbers to Call for information Pitburg a general merchandise retail Sale april 4, building t-566, Auto on 453-7461 or civilian 06561 617461. Kaiserslautern automobile Sale on april 4, furniture sales on april 11, 18 and 25, 219 Mannheimer str., area 100, building 2389 across from Kaiserslautern army Depotts 483-8691 or military 2221-8691. Hanau general merchandise retail Sale on april 4 and general merchandise auction on april 16, building 636, Gross nauheim Cavern military 2309-8760 or civilian 06181-55614. Bad Stoelz furniture Sale april 4, Flint Cavern fire station civilian 08041-30737 or 0911-713935. Augsburg general merchandise auction april 24, off site Branch on Sheridan Cavern building 121, military 2581-7209 or civilian 0821-524685. Meckenheim general merchandise retail Sale april 25, Friedrichs Feld service Center building 1040, military 2131-6022 or civilian 0621-473231. Pan am to Start direct flights Between Berlin new York Berlin pan american world airways will begin direct flights from Berlin to new York thursday with the european produced a-310 Airbus a spokeswoman said tuesday. A special $434 round trip fare is available until May 31, the spokeswoman said. The flights will leave Tegel Airport four times a week and will Stop in Hamburg to take on food and fuel before departing for John f. Kennedy International Airport in new York she said. Total travel time for the new connection will be slightly More than 11 hours she said. After May 31, the round trip fare to new York will increase to $564, she said. New York bound flights will leave Berlin thursday Friday saturday and sunday. Return flights from new York Are scheduled for wednesday thursday Friday and saturday the spokeswoman said. Correction tuesday s Story on the memorial service for pfc. Ken Neth d. Germain incorrectly stated his unit As. The 557th engr in. He was a member of cod 547th engr in. The stars and stripes regrets the error. While the Comet speeds on Giotto takes a 4-year breather by . Kominicki staff writer Darmstadt Germany Halley s Comet is Speed ing toward the outer reaches of the solar system but Giotto the european spacecraft that took the first closeup photos of the Comet is getting a vacation. Mission controllers at the european space Agency s control Center in Darmstadt shut Down the probe late monday night putting it in hibernation Mode for a four year ride that will slowly return it to Earth s Gravity. At that time in mid-1990, Giotto could be called on to probe a second lesser Comet. It depends of course on whether the spacecraft is functioning at that time whether or not it will make sense to attempt another Comet Mission said Klaus Lenhart a Mission planner at the control Center. Lenhart said Giotto is orbiting the Sun slightly ahead of the Earth making a Complete trip every 10 months. The probe should pass our planet in mid-1990, and at that time the Craft s thrusters and the Earth s Gravity could be teamed to fling Giotto into a new orbit in line with an approaching Comet. Giotto named for an italian artist who included Hal Ley s Comet in a 15th-Century religious painting suffered some damage during its March 14 encounter with Hal Ley s. But 98 percent of its solar panel array is functioning ensuring sufficient Power for a second Comet probe Len Hart said. Six of the original 10 experiments aboard Are in work ing order including most of the instruments used to Mea sure the storm of dust particles that surrounds the nucleus of comets. However the device that produced the most spectacular results during the Halley s encounter the Craft s Multi color camera is not functioning. Its aluminium Mirror was badly pitted by dust and was sending Back blurred hazy images before the Craft was shut Down Lenhart said. A thousand or so comets make regular swings by Earth and it has not been decided which Giotto would visit in the future. There Are several candidates if the Craft is still functioning when the time comes Lenhart said. We originally had planned a Mission to the Comet Schwassmann Wachmann 3, but it was not observed in 1985 when it was due to make its first appearance. Now whether this was because everyone was Busy looking at Halley s or whether the Wachmann Comet burned up we do not know yet. This is the Type of question that will have to be answered Over the next four much of the data collected by Giotto during its encounter with Halley s is still being studied. The first results Are to be released in scientific journals in the next three or four weeks Lenhart said. Esa meanwhile has a Busy schedule of launching at its French Guiana space Center including the launching of a weather satellite in september and a communications satellite before the end of the year. Lenhart said we were to be closely involved in the space Telescope project with the United states but All of that work was to be done with shuttle flights and we Don t know How Long it will be before the program is twice Cefai a bus service replaces Frankfurt Bremerhaven night train by Joe Mapother Bremerhaven Bureau Bremerhaven Germany one of two remaining american military passenger train connections to this port City ended four decades of service tuesday when twice daily bus service replaced the Frankfurt to Bremerhaven train. The army Hopes to save As much As $500,000 a year by replacing the overnight train with morning and evening bus runs army officials said. Passenger capacity will More than double under the new arrangement said Charles Simpson director of services for 543rd area support group Bremerhaven. The end of the overnight Sleeper car Between Frankfurt and Bremerhaven Marks another chapter in the Story of . Military transportation through Bremerhaven which reached its Zenith in 1965, when More than 400 . Ships arrived. Military transport ships arrived Day in Bremerhaven during the 1960s carrying soldiers and families. Trains then departed from the Northern port to Berlin and More than a half dozen locations in Southern Ger Many. The increase in trans Atlantic air traffic in the late 1960s sounded the death Knell for the Golden years of the military trains said Karl Thieme who began working for the american occupation forces in 1945 and retired from the German Federal railway in 1978 As the duty train Liaison officer in Bremerhaven. The system was wonderful but it got sick because it was too expensive Thieme said. Sec. William Matthews was the conductor on the train that pulled into the Bremerhaven main station at 8 . Monday. The 4th trans come Soldier said there were seven Pas sengers All coming to Bremerhaven to pick up their Auto mobiles. Matthews has served seven months on the train. He said he will miss duty As one of four conductors on the train which has left Frankfurt shortly after 11 30 . Nightly. One German army Veteran and former Railroad employee will not forget the Day 40 years ago when he accompanied an american army officer on a postwar inspection of the tracks and Bridges. Helmut Gmelin told the army colonel How the War had separated him from his family in Friedberg Midway be tween Frankfurt and Giessen. Much to Gmelin s Surprise the colonel ordered the train to Stop and said he would be Back to pick up Gmelin and his family in a few Days. Gmelin retired from his Job in 1966 and lives in Bremer Haven. The new contract bus service will leave the Frankfurt railway transportation office at the main train station at noon and 11 . Each Day and will arrive at 7 35 . And 6 20 . At the Carl Schurz Cavern in Bremerhaven. Northbound buses will Stop at the Lucius d. Clay Cavern in Karlstedt and the Harbor House billeting facility in Bremerhaven. The southbound buses will leave the recreation Center at Carl Schurz Cavern at 8 . And 10 . They will arrive at the Frankfurt army Hospital at 5 20 . And 7 10 . Stops will be made at the Bremerhaven railway transportation office at the main train station the to in Oster Holz Schrambeck Rhein main a and the Frankfurt to. The trip is free and seats Are assigned on a priority basis with personnel on temporary duty and in the process of relocating getting first crack. The buses Are equipped with reclining seats. Military train service from Berlin to Bremerhaven is unaffected by cancellation of the Frankfurt to Bremerhaven service a Usa eur news release said. The Frank Furt to Berlin route also is unaffected. American girl Falls to death in Paris Paris a a 16-year-old american girl fell about 50 feet to her death in a weekend Accident at the Trocadero Esplanade police said tuesday. They said Charlene Ciampa climbed up on a parapet overlooking the Trocadero Garden to take a photograph saturday slipped and fell about 50 feet. She died at the scene the police report said. Ciampa who lived in the Milwaukee suburb of new Berlin wis., was travelling with a group. The group has since checked out of its hotel in Paris. In Wisconsin the victim s Mother Jean Ciampa reported earlier receiving one account that her daughter fell to her death from the Eiffel Tower. The earlier account was in error. The Trocadero is a wide Esplanade just across the Seine River from the Eiffel Tower. A staircase leads Down from the Esplanade to a lower Terrace where there Are two additional staircases. Ciampa had been on a 10-Day trip to Europe with . Institute for cultural Exchange a California company. Mrs. Ciampa said the family heard saturday from Frederick Beckman a guidance Counselor at Eisenhower High school in new Berlin who was a chaperone for the tour
