Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, April 17, 1986

You are currently viewing page 21 of: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, April 17, 1986

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - April 17, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Thursday april 17, 1986 the stars and stripes Page 21 Yreba  i " " a Carolina Fine time with fellow scribes nothing can be finer than to be in Carolina at Ossa time. I know because i was on hand again last week for the National sportscasters and sportswriters association s 27th annual awards program. Honoured were the elite from All 50 states and Abc s Bob Costas and sports illustrated s Frank de Ford As the nation s Best. As a featured attraction was the induction of Don Dumphy Jimmy Cannon and Bob Prince into the Ossa Hall of Fame Dumphy in person the others posthumously. It is a gala program that the Good people of Salisbury , stage in memory of Pete Dimizio a former Salisbury restaurant owner who just happened to have a warm spot in his heart for sports journalists. Dimizio had a dream the likes of which everybody told him was absolutely Foolhardy a Complete waste of Money. But Dimizio pursued that dream which was to give sportscasters and sportswriters recognition. He established an awards program for Carolina writ ers in 1957. It was so successful that he decided to go National in 1958. Despite being ridiculed and harassed Dimizio went Forward with his dream. With the help of his wife Becky Salisbury sports editor Horace Billings and a few staunch friends he sent out 6,000 ballots to sports casters and sportswriters across the nation. The dinner was planned and the winners were being tabulated when alas Pete suddenly died. He did t live to see his dream come True. The 1958 program was t postponed it was cancelled. Two years later Jim Cobb the energetic 34-year-old president of the Salisbury chamber of Commerce and de Mckenzie a Young surgeon resurrected the awards program. Mckenzie travelled hither and Yon so much so that his private business suffered trying to get top personalities for the program. Red Smith said he could t come and Lindsey Nelson said he could t come. But Mckenzie would t take no from either of them. He kept calling Smith until the great sportswriter finally consented to come to Salisbury. Mckenzie who knew Lindsey Nelson s Boss went to the top. Nelsen was assigned to that first program too. Forty one state and National winners accepted invitations to the awards banquet. When the three Day Cele bration was finished Salisbury had a new business staging the National sportscasters and sportswriters association awards ceremonies. It s a Success. Some of the nation s Best sports Jour Ben Abrams a lists find a place if possible every year in their schedule for three great Days at Salisbury. This year 66 Media people represented their states As winners. In 1962, the Ossa itself was established. Red Smith was the first president Lindsey Nelson its first vice president. Today will Grimsley the retired associated press writer is president. I am a charter member of Ossa. I made my first trip to Salisbury two years ago for the Silver anniversary awards program and returned this year for the Silver anniversary of the association. The 1984 program was so great i had to go Back. Those Salisbury people know How to put on a fab Ulous shindig. You know nothing can be finer than to be in Carolina at Ossa time. High school sports coverage is what gets Many of the writers and announcers to Salisbury. Because in the less densely populated states practically everything in the Community swings around High school activities. Naturally in the bigger cities the stress is on professional sports and College football and basketball. It was interesting to talk to some of the winners especially those whose main Job is covering High schools. We play up High school sports in addition to cover ing the University said Ryan Bakkan sports editor of the grand Forks . Herald. I cover most of the University of North Dakota football and hockey and 1 also staff a lot of the High school events especially football hockey basketball and baseball. High school sports evenings Are big events in our territory compete ively and  Bakkan won the North Dakota award for the second straight year. We broadcast As Many High school games As we can said five time new Hampshire win Ner Jim Jeannotte of Wexlin Concord. His counterpart Larry Favinger of the Portsmouth Herald echoed Jeanotte s remarks High school sports is the main part of our  during this Jaunt to the United states 1 got to read a few papers in North and South Carolina. I noticed that the track and Field performances there were comparable to the achievements in Dodds. Girls were Long jumping in the Vicinity of 17 to 18 feet High jumping around 5 feet and throwing the discus and shot 115-120 and 35-40 feet respectively. The sprint times also were similar to Dodds times. Prep track opened on the cold fronts of Germany and Belgium last saturday. Michelle Harris topped the girl Long jumpers with a 15-9vi. The Best High jump anyone could manage was 4-6 by Karen Danbridge of osterholz. Donna Briggs of Munich heaved the longest discus. 114-4, and shot 36-1v. In boys Competition the winning Long jumps in the Carolinas were Between 20 feet 6 inches and 22-1. Dashes were Down around 10.7 for the 100 and 21.s for the 200, slightly better than ours. The boys in Europe opened with these kinds of num Bers 20-10 in the Long jump by Keith Mitchell of Nuernberg 11.3 in the 100 by Michael Harris of Gies sen and 23.1 in the 200 by Harris. After weather Hurt last weekend s events libyan related Security is postponing at least some of this weekend s action. Hanau Frankfurt and Mannheim Are three communities that definitely won t allow their High schools to Host or travel to sports events according to Dodds Germany sports chief Tom Leblanc. The London High boosters sent this letter we would like to announce to you and every Dodds High school that the London Central High school Booster club and soccer team will Host an All Europe soccer tournament May 23-26. This europ wide event is not sanctioned by Dodds. A decision was made to hold this tournament because of the drastic Cut to our Spring season. Letters Are being sent to All Dodds High schools in Europe concerning this tournament. Soccer players will have to talk to their coaches for further information. The participating teams will be limited to 14 play ers one manager and their coach. Each team will have to pay for their own transportation. Sleeping accommodations will be provided for team members and coaches. There will be a minimal fee for each team. We believe this tournament will be a positive Cape Renee for everyone involved and will extend the season. The number of teams in this tourney will be limited to 10. If we have not received enough letters of interest by May 1, the tournament will be cancelled. Help is essential. If you have questions Contact Pat Reynolds at these numbers office High Wycombe civilian 455263 or Auto on 232-5263 Home Beaconsfield civilian 77355 after 7 . You can write to Pat Reynolds Box 211, Apo 09241." the stars and stripes foreigners 2nd-class citizens on Golf tour by Hal Bock a sports columnist if he wakes up some Fine thursday morning with the urge to hit a few balls in a pea tour tournament Orville Moody Winner of one pro event 17 years ago need Only show up. His tee time is guaranteed in perpetuity. Seve Ballesteros who nearly won his third masters Green jacket sunday had better not try it though. Moody need not qualify Courtesy of his . Open Victory in 1969. The same thing goes for 68-year-old Julius pros and for Jack Fleck whose last tour Victory was a Mere 25 years ago. They Are among a club Ter of golfing relics from the game s storied past who All own grandfathered lifetime exemptions and Are free to play anytime any place the pea tour imprimatur is Dis played in As Many or As few events As they want. However Ballesteros arguably the Best golfer in the world right now does not share that privilege. He is a foreign player and that makes him a second class citizen in the gentrified world of professional Golf. Tour rules contain a double Standard that is particularly interesting in View of the assault the foreign players made on the Hal Lowed grounds of Augusta National last week. American players can do just about any thing they wish with regard to tour appear ances. The All exempt tour is like a come one come All invitation. Foreigners however Are held to stricter standards required to play in 15 pea tournaments on these shores or be banned from the tour. Americans Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson can do pretty much what they want in the area of scheduling tournament appearances. Spain s seve Ballesteros can not. That explains Why Ballesteros was not at Greensboro the week before the masters and is not at Hilton head this week. And it explains Why he went into the masters with just nine rounds of competitive Golf this year not the very Best Way to try for the coveted Green jacket. Ballesteros was allowed in the masters because the tournament is a private invitation affair and not part of the regular pea tour. In fact the pea championship itself also Falls in that category. If that sounds a Little Peculiar what would you say about Banning the Best player in the world be cause he happens not to be an american Ballesteros suspension from the 1986 tour follows the letter of pea Law and no amount of carping at commissioner Deane Beman and there was plenty of that at Augusta National last week can change that. By barring the swashbuckling spaniard for failing to comply with the 15-event Rule Beman was merely applying the rules. That is after All the Man s Job. What is wrong Here was not Beman s position but rather the Rule itself. Without Ballesteros the tour lacks of one of the game s top attractions. That hardly seems sensible for sponsors who invest big Bucks each week in their events. By suspending me everybody loses Ballesteros reasoned. Golf loses. The fans lose. He Beman loses. I  As usual the Bottom line is Money. Ballesteros prefers to play the european tour where golfers including americans get up front appearance fees. He would like to fill out his tournament year in the United states playing eight or nine events Here. But not 15. That does not seem like a terrible meaner but current pea rules prohibit that kind of program. So seve is a non per son this season his biography stricken from the tour Book. Next year the 1 5-event Rule is almost certain to be changed and Ballesteros will return welcomed no doubt by sponsors who. Appreciate the Charisma he brings to a tournament. In the meantime he is a Martyr created by a rigid Rule. It might have made More sense for the pea to Grant him an exemption and not deprive . Audiences of his presence this season. Augusta National and the masters was better for having him around last week. A photo seve Ballesteros. Barred from tour  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade