European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - September 11, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Thursday september 11,19bb the stars and stripes t Page 9 Arab takes Over italian Cairo pistol wielder frees hostages surrenders Capo Egypt a an Arab Wilh a pistol took Over the Teton consulate tuesday and held the Consul and three hostage for two hours before sur rendering to Egypt the Man left inc of Wtown consulate building sur rounded by several soldiers. He was put into an armoured car and in one of the commandos who to mod to give his name said we did l have to . He just gave himself Ugo Colombo second Secretary at inc 1 Bassy said inc Man. Apparently an egyptian was affected by mental illness. Mentally deranged and said that the incident had no political overtones. There apparently were no shots fired in the i . Takeover and there was a indication that Consul Francesco Ercolano or. His col leagues were injured. The consulate which is separate from the italian embassy in Cairo is in a downtown business area. Early in the standoff two egyptian commandos were reported to be inside the consulate and two a Mored personnel carriers and an ambulance were wait ing outside. The Street was blocked and police rounded the building. When i spoke to the Man he wanted to Jcak to our charge d affaires Colombo told press. The charge said inc Man spake nout Coher it seems he is an egyptian suffused to work in said a senior police official the scene. He said authorities from Egypt s in or ministry negotiated by Telephone Wilh the i older Security Soura said inc Man was a former Rusl Auml Cook who Par cantly was upset because his Boss failed to pay Fri Money he said was owed him. In Rome a Nalian foreign ministry official said inc Man Hajj reeking compensation totalling 14 million lire a Loipl. The official said inc Man previously had visited Faly where he had some Legal trouble and of Zhao Taly som to spit Ahmed for psychiatric disorders. Tallu consulate employee Cloeo Barbler tight Ippun Wilh three egyptian friends on inc consulate s Ankony after an Arab who had held him and three others hostage to the consulate in Cairo Egypt surrendered. New Cable to is Good news for . Family by Dave Diehl . Bureau news baby. We have inc those were the words of the first military Cable Tele vision customer in England one Rodney Smith. One Happy Rodney Smith. I m going to love it Smith said As Cable workers Fine tuned his television. Ill be Here All weekend the base is the lint of 10 hat will be gelling pay to Between now and inc end of next year said John Scaife chairman Ofca Blacom investments lid., the company installing the 11-Channel systems at the bases. Smith is inc husband of air Force tech. Sgt. Pepper Smith safety chief at Raf Chicksands England. The Smiths including their 13-year-old son arc about As excited As a family can gel about the s30-a month wire running into their House. The Smiths had 38 channels of to entertainment when they left san Antonio Texas last year. They gave up 34, so to speak when they came to this Liny electronic Security come base in Central England. The United kingdom has Only four television channels. Pepper and Rodney Smith will no longer be limited to the two British broadcasting and two commercial stations available to 99 percent of Britain. They did t care much for them. It is Boring said Pepper Smith. There is a lot t miss from the British television programming does t satisfy the Smiths. There Are Loo Many commercials and they re on too Long Rodney said. Pepper Smith says there in t enough variety. Television in t broadcast 24 hours a Day in Britain either. Much of he programming during inc Day is educational. But with the Cable Rodney say hell be spending his weekends watching the football basketball and Golf he s been missing. He said hell also be spending some late nights in front of the Box. That s a Blessing. Pepper said. For a while i could t keep him she said he would often go to neighbors and friends houses to watch their videos. Neither Smith thinks $29 is too much for what they la get. If they d Given us two extra channels t think in would have been Worth it Pepper Smith said. Turkish police obtain attackers fingerprints Istanbul Turkey a police investigating the Neve shalom Syna Gogue massacre have obtained fingerprints from the dismembered remains of the two suicide attackers Turkey s Interior minister said tuesday. Minister Yildirim Akbulut Lold the associated press the fingerprints will be sent to a number of countries in an Effort to identify the terrorists. The attackers blew themselves to pieces after killing 21 worshippers saturday. Security forces and cleanup Crews meanwhile prepared for wednesday s funeral services in the same Temple where the victims died. The bodies of those killed in the Auto Matic weapons and grenade barrage were turned Over to their families tuesday after authorities completed autopsies. Police said ail they knew about the gunmen was that they appeared 10 be arabs in i hair 20s. Akbulut said the investigators believe the terrorists received their polish made sub machine guns disassembled from somewhere abroad. Avram Albohaire a Neve shalom offi Cial told inc a the bodies of two israeli resident iranian jews killed in the attack will be sent to Israel for burial there. The rest of the dead All turks were to be buried wednesday Al the local cemetery after funeral services at Neve shalom. Officials said Israel s chief rabbi and three representatives from . Jewish organizations would attend. Armed guards and pain clothes police men were stationed around Neve Sha Lom Istanbul s main synagogue in anticipation of the services. Istanbul gov. Nevzat Ayaz said no one has been taken into custody As a suspect. Boy s curiosity causes $750,000 in damages Shannon Ireland a a jumbo Jet was damaged american repairmen had to be town in and 400 passengers were stranded overnight because an 8-year-old boy tampered Wilh the air Bridge linking the plane to the terminal an airline official said tuesday. The boy s curiosity ended up Cost ing an estimated $730,000 in dam Ages Philip Carney a spokesman for Northwest airlines which suffered the misfortune said. The boy s identity was withheld but he is believed to be from new York. He was disembarking with his father on a Stopover Al Shannon inter National Airport in route from Prest Wick Scotland to new York when he touched the controls of the Mobile air Bridge Carney said. The Bridge moved up abruptly smashing into the exit doorway of the Boeing 747, he spokesman said. No one was injured but three Engi neers Hod to Fly in from the United states 10 repair the door. The Passen Gers were sent 10 hotels before continuing their journey monday on Dif Ferent flights Carney said. We could no let the plane continue for safely reasons until everything was in order he said. The damage has been estimated at 500,000 pounds and responsibility for who pays is a matter for the air Bridge is owned by the Irish airports authority and is operated by car lingus Ireland s National airline
