Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Tuesday, July 26, 1988

You are currently viewing page 2 of: European Stars and Stripes Tuesday, July 26, 1988

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - July 26, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 2 the stars and stripes tuesday july 26,1988 sub crewmen s Rescue Effort criticized Tokyo a a top defense offi Cial monday said the crewmen of a Navy submarine that hit and Sank a chartered fishing boat should have done More to Rescue the 48 people on Board and had been slow in notifying Rescue officials. Divers meanwhile recovered the Bod ies of three More victims bringing the confirmed death toll to nine in the Acci Dent saturday near Yokosuka 28 Miles Southwest of Tokyo. About 200 divers were searching Mon Day for the bodies of 21 people missing and presumed dead Rescue officials said. Other divers worked to attach cables to the Hull of the sunken fishing vessel the 154-ton no. 1 Fuji Maru. Officials said they plan to begin raising the ship with a giant Crane tuesday. Witnesses said the fishing boat which had been chartered by a company club for a weekend trip Sank less than two minutes after colliding with the 2,200 ton submarine Nad Ashio at the Entrance to Tokyo Bay. The submarine travelling on the surface was crossing a Busy ship Ping Lane to enter Yokosuka naval base. Nineteen people were rescued from the boat. One of them died later in a Hospital. The investigation in t Complete yet but it looks like both vessels were partly responsible for the Accident an official of the maritime safety Agency Japan s coast guard said. There were no reports of injuries among the 75 men aboard the submarine which was Only slightly damaged. Seiki Nishihira vice minister of state for defense said the submarine had been slow in notifying Rescue officials of the Accident because its communications equipment allowed it to talk to naval Headquarters but not directly to the coast guard. News reports said 21 minutes elapsed before the coast guard was informed of the collision. Of the 19 people who were rescued 16 were picked up by other passing ships and Only three by the sub Marine the reports said. Nishihira said he wished members of the Crew had grabbed three or four life preservers if they were available and jumped into the water to save the peo ple in the Ocean. Witnesses from other boats said they saw a number of people who had been floating in the water after the Accident sink out of sight. Adm. Shuichiro Higashiyama Navy chief of staff was quoted As saying Sun Day that the submarine was trying to avoid hitting a yacht when it rammed the fishing boat and the Accident could have been avoided if the fishing boat had not made an unexpected turn. If the no. 1 Fuji Maru had not turned to the left there would not have been a Colli Sion. I Don t know Why they turned. I be Lieve the submarine commander took the most appropriate measures to avoid an Accident a Navy official quoted him As say ing. According to japanese maritime regu lations the vessel approaching from the left when two boats Are on a collisi9n course must take evasive action while the other vessel must maintain its direction unless an Accident is imminent. In saturday s Accident the submarine was on the left Higashiyama said. News updates 4 guerrillas killed Johannesburg South Afri Ca a auth9iities said Mon Day that police killed four guerrillas who threw grenades that injured 12 officers when a weapons packed car was stopped at a Roadblock near Botswana. Police said that when the car was stopped sunday on the Road Between Mafi Keng Botswana and Lichtenburg South Africa two hand grenades were thrown from it at Security Force members Man Ning the Roadblock. Five officers were Hurt and police opened fire at the vehicle kill ing two Black men and a Black woman police said. Another Black Man was taken a Short distance from the Roadblock to be searched and was shot to death when he primed a hand Gre Nade police said. When the Man fell on the Gre Nade it detonated injuring another seven officers police added. Duvalier funds probe London a an appeals court has rejected an attempt by haitian sex dictator Jean Claude Duvalier and his family to Block a probe into the whereabouts of $120 million the Duvalier Alleg edly stole from the state. Lord Justice sir Christopher Staughton dismissed the Duva Liers claim that they were being persecuted saying that if this is so they should cooperate in the International search for the miss ing millions. This Case demands International cooperation Between Allna tons he said. Duvalier was ousted in a coup in february 1986, and the family fled to France. They Are accused by Haiti s present rulers of misappropriating the funds. Chilean plebiscite Santiago Chile up the military announced monday it will meet next month to pick its candidate in a plebiscite that will decide who will be Chile s presi Dent after 15 years of Rule under Gen. Augusto Pinochet who seized Power in a 1973 coup. A copy of the proclamation was distributed sunday. Voting is to take place 30 to 60 Days after the Junta announces its candidate most Likely to be Pino Chet 72, who has appeared to be vigorously campaigning since last year. Government sources said the plebiscite will be oct. 5. O Connor condemns . View of violence in Northern Ireland Belfast Northern Ireland a preaching in the heart of roman Catho Lic West Belfast Cardinal John o con nor of new York monday decried americans who romanticize violence in Northern Ireland. He told a congregation of 400 at St. Peter s Cathedral that the violence that you have experienced and that has shattered so Many lives has become a myth among some of us in the United  he condemned some on our own shores some in my own country who romanticize violence when it is several thousand Miles away who Don t know what it does to a land who Don t know the insecurity that it brings who Don t know How it keeps a people  o Connor urged americans to heed his Host in Belfast Bishop Cahal Daly who has recognized that regardless of the motive or the alleged motive Vio Lence the murder of the innocent is absolutely intolerably evil and can never be  the Cardinal also backed Daly s Call to the British government for More funding to combat unemployment. St. Peter s Cathedral overlooks the Divis Flats housing project which o Connor during a tour sunday de scribed As a Catholic  he urged american business to create jobs and de Prive the Ira of recruits. O Connor who began his Irish tour Friday and is to leave wednesday flew to Belfast from Knock site of the Irish Republic s most important Catholic shrine. At Knock he prayed for peace and met relatives of two men imprisoned in connection with Ira bombings. On saturday an Irish Republican army bomb killed a protestant couple and their 6-year-old son As they drove along a Highway just North of the Ireland Northern Ireland Border. The Ira fighting to rid Northern ire land of British Rule and unite the Island took responsibility saying the family was unfortunate victims of mistaken Ridenti  the Ira did not name the intended victim but press reports said the Ira meant to blow up a Northern Ireland judge. Mayor Edward Koch of new York who was in the congregation this morn ing told worshippers he had Learned a lot during his first visit to Northern Ireland. He told reporters he would urge Ameri can business to bring in factories Here and put them in Catholic  israelis release 148 palestinians Jerusalem a Israel freed 148 palestinians from a desert jail monday As a Goodwill gesture one Day after sol Diers battled mobs of Rock hurling pro testers in the occupied lands leaving two arabs dead authorities said. Violence broke out sunday a religious Holiday for both moslem and jews when chanting palestinians marched to cemeteries to Honor victims of the uprising against 21 years of israeli occupation. An army spokesman said monday that the army was freeing 148 palestinians from the a etzion tent prison in the Negev desert of the occupied Gaza strip. He said some had been jailed without trial and the rest were serving Short sentences for crimes linked to the palestini an uprising. Israeli radio said More than 3,000 palestinian detainees would remain in Ket riot. The army said it held More than 5,000 palestinian prisoners in a etzion and other prisons. The prisoners release came a Day after bloody confrontations in the occupied territories left two palestinians dead and six wounded raising to 233 the Arab death toll since the uprising began dec. 8. Four israelis have also died. Seven cities and refugee Camps in the West Bank remained under curfew Mon Day after the clashes the army said. The unrest was partly triggered by coinciding jewish and moslem holidays. The moslem feast Marks when the biblical patriarch Abraham was ordered by god to sacrifice his son Isaac. The jewish commemoration Marks the destruction of a Jerusalem Temple by roman rulers nearly 2,000 years ago. A Holiday custom Calls for the mos lems to visit cemeteries and leaders of the uprising called on their followers to visit the Graves of arabs slain during the uprising. In the West Bank town of a Tatiya troops killed a 25-year-old Arab and wounded three the army said without identifying the casualty. Israeli radio said the residents marched from the town cemetery to the nearby Road and blocked it hurling stones at soldiers and injuring an army officer. It said troops fired live ammunition after failing to disperse protesters with tear Gas and rubber bullets. Serif que near 38, died at Jerusalem s Hadassah Hospital after being shot in the town of beit Jala the army and Arab reports said. The Hospital said the Man tried to throw a Brick at israeli soldiers. In the West Bank town of Bethlehem several Hundred moslem worshippers marched to the cemetery chanting god is great and the end to the occupation is  protesters in the Gaza strip mourned the uprising s martyrs at the cemeteries threw bottles at troops burned tires and flew outlawed palestinian flags. Bavarian repairing heavy storm damage Munich West Germany a work Crews m Bavaria on monday were repairing heavy damage left by a Power Ful storm that ripped through the South Ern state with winds of up to 90 Miles per hour. The sunday night storm damage buildings uprooted Trees flooded cellars disrupted electricity and injured at least eight people police said. Cellars in Munich were flooded with up to two feet of water from the sudden  businesses were closed Mon Day As owners waited for overworked Crews to arrive to pump water out of their  said at least eight people were Hurt in Munich including two vagrant who were pinned by a fallen tree. Fire men Cut the two men  women were trapped under a fallen tree and were also rescued by  received Light injuries. In addition a taxi Driver was treated for Shock after a tree fell onto the top of his  children Ages 11 and 12, and a 38-year-old Man received slight injuries when they were hit by roofing tiles blown off by the wind police  hit a Farmer s Bam near the bavarian City of Deggendorf 75 mile Northeast of Munich. At least six High Power line masts col lapsed in the area cutting off electricity to towns for several  around a Deggendorf Church was ripped away by the  said reports of damage were still coming in and estimated the final tally would run into millions of dollars  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade