European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - January 5, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 2 the stars and stripes thursday january 5,1989 760 Naf americans face new tax Man by Randy Mcclain financial writer starting this week several Hundred members of . Government s work Force in West Germany have a new tax Man to pay. The internal Revenue service has reached a agreement with the German Federal ministry of finance affecting 760 american citizens working in West Germany who up to now had been considered local nationals. The employees All of whom work for cafes or other non appropriated fund agencies under Thelt Sarteur umbrella were paying German taxes. The irs now says that was a mistake. The americans fell into the German tax system Forone of three reasons they had lived in the country for More than a year and were considered local hires by Usa eur they had official residency status in the country or they had German work permits. At least one of the affected employees holds dual residency status. Irs officials say the americans in question should never have been paying German taxes and As of Jan. 1 German tax authorities agreed. From now on the several Hundred americans affected will have . Income tax withheld from their paychecks and will make income tax filings each Yea with the . Government instead of with the West germans. Separate negotiations Are continuing Over whether the employees should be part of the United states or Germany s social Security system. Employees will continue making payments under the German system for the time being. American income tax Scales generally Are lower than the German rates so the income tax switch May mean a Little More Money in employees take Home Enve Lopes at least at first. But some of the employees affected Are concerned about what the future holds. German social benefits Are generally More lucrative than in the United states and some of the workers Are worried they la be locked out of the German system. To me it s like a can of Worms said one employee affected by the changeover. You Don t know what effect it will have Down the the employee spoken the condition that his name not be used. John l. Simmons chief of the Legal assistance Divi Sion Usa eur said the irs will not attempt to col Lect Back taxes from the americans affected. And he said the German government will not reimburse the employees or the . Government for taxes erroneously collected in the past. Simmons said a majority of the americans affect dare in the $15,000 or less annual income category. A few though hold supervisory jobs and Are higher paid. The practice of taxing some americans under the German system has gone on for years. It was Only recently questioned by the irs Simmons said. Late last year the dispute was worked out in negotiations involving the irs the German Federal ministry of finance and representatives of Usa eur and cafes. The settlement Means roughly $1.7 Mil lion in Overall tax Revenue will now head across the Atlantic to the United states instead of remaining i Germany s coffers Simmons said. About 160 of the affected workers Are employed by various Naf agencies under Usa eur and about 600 Are employed by cafes he said. In the past some of the workers escaped . Taxes by claiming the income earned abroad exclusion which exempts up to $70,000 in income from .taxes for business people living abroad. But that exemption cannot be legally claimed by anyone work ing for the . Government Simmons said. Another favorite escape Hatch for others was to file . Tax return and to claim a foreign tax credit Sim Mons said. In most cases that meant the employee did t owe any american taxes because he had already paid that much or More in German taxes the attorney said. Now both loopholes have been closed. The Naf and cafes employees affected by the new rules must fill out a w-4 income tax withholding form As soon As possible at the personnel office where they work Simmons said. One postscript Church taxes Werg being collected for employees who desired it under the German in come tax system but that procedure will be discontinued with the . Government taking Over As tax collector. Charges dropped on . Fads tied to animal abuse by Rosemary Sawyer staff writer German authorities have dropped charges against four american juveniles suspected of killing and abusing a Nim Alsin a Wiesbaden West Germany Garden plot area last summer. Charges against a fifth youth a 17 year old boy believed to have led the activity have been temporarily dropped Wolfgang Greth Wiesbaden chief prosecutor said wednesday. Police investigators had linked the juveniles to the killing of 19 animals in july and August near Wiesbaden s a Kamm military housing area. In the Inci dents 11 animals from an animal shelter were reported killed As were five Young rabbits and three cats belonging to the owner of a neighbouring Garden House. Greth said the Case against one of the Nev update juveniles a 13-year-old girl charged with stealing a Kitten was dropped because she is under age. Action will not be take against the girl s parents As they were not deemed negligent and it was the first complaint against the girl. Animal shelter owner Lydia Weber claimed the girl killed the Kitten by throwing it to the ground. However .investigators said they had no proof of the Kitten s death a Wiesbaden spokeswoman said. A Case against the girl s sister who Wassail to have struck Weber s husband in a confrontation surrounding the Kitten also was dropped when Horst Weber chose not to press charges Greth said. Charges against three other youths implicated in the incidents were dropped because of insufficient evidence he said. In the Case of the 17-year-old, authorities will Monitor whether he returns lowest Germany from the United states within the next five years in which Cashee could still be prosecuted Greth said. The boy left Wiesbaden two weeks be fore questioning tied him to the Case. Weber said she received news of the dropped charges saturday in a letter from the prosecutor s office. This is the worst thing i have overheard of she said. I did t want any body to be sent Back to America but they could have at least come and apologized. They the youths sit there no Wand they laugh themselves to death be cause nothing can happen to chances of prosecuting the youths were slim from the Start because of thei rages Greth said. Insufficient evidence also prompted dropping of charge against a boy accused of setting fire to a Garden hut in the same area on sept. 19,Greth said. Despite Weber s troubles she said she likes americans and is grateful for the outpouring of concern she received. It s Good to know there Are so Man people out there who love animals said Weber who has received dozens of let ters from americans and hundreds of Marks in donations. Pitburg elementary school students gave Weber $444 in november. Kind Ness club members raised the Money from donations and by Selling to shirt bearing the message kids in nature s youths at Wiesbaden Middle school undertook an adopt an animal program in which individual classes adopt an Ani Mal from the shelter and provide for it. Contributing to this report Regina Kirkendall in Darm Stadt West Germany palme assassination Stockholm Sweden a a swedish appeals court tues Day rejected a request for immedi ate release by a suspect accused of killing prime minister Olof palme. A court clerk said the three judge panel ruled unanimously that Christer Pettersson 41, will remain in custody until Jan. 13, when prosecutors must formally charge him seek a second Exten Sion or release him. Pettersson who has a history of violent and Petty crimes and psychiatric treatment was arrested dec. 14 after the largest manhunt in Sweden s history. Newspapers and the two nation Al television networks have reported that he was identified by wit Nesses As being at the scene of the shooting. Shultz to attend Paris conference on ban against chemical weapons by David Tarrant staff writer Secretary of state George Shultz was scheduled to arrive in Paris thursday to attend the first worldwide conference Indore than 60 years on a ban against chemical weapons. About 150 nations Are expected to be represented at the five Day conference which opens saturday. The meeting Armsto reaffirm a worldwide ban on chemical weapons signed by 131 nations at a 1925geneva conference. One of the major concerns that resulted in this meeting is the proliferation of chemical weapons and their use a . Official in Paris told the stars an stripes wednesday. Shultz is arriving a few Days before the Start of the conference to hold one on one discussions with other foreign ministers expected to attend another . Official said. The meeting stems from a proposal made by president Reagan in september in a speech to the United nations inner York. Reagan s suggestion for such a meeting followed american accusations that Iraq used poisonous Gas during the seven year Iran Iraq War. Representatives from both Iran an Iraq Are scheduled to attend the Confer ence. Libyan representatives also Are to at tend. The Cia recently reported having satellite photos of a chemical weapons Plant near the libyan capital of libyans however claim the facility makes pharmaceuticals. . Officials said Shultz is expected tomake a series of proposals at the meet ing including the possibility of the United nations inspecting countries suspected of producing or using chemical weapons. The meeting is expected to conclude with a declaration emphasizing a world wide ban on the weapons. There s not going to be any major negotiations or amendments to the 1925 pro Tocol a . Official said we re no going to try to pressure countries to change. But we d like to see More adherence an adherents to the correction a new York times article saturday about the declining mormon birth rate incorrectly stated that women cannot achieve full status As Church members. While women cannot be priests they can achieve full status As members. Further while women must be married to attain the highest degree of celestial glory men also must be married to attain that level. 2,000-feac/ier strike closes Akron schools Akron Ohio a some 2,000teachers went on strike wednesday closing the City s 34,000-student school system. The walkout began after talks failed to produce a new contract. Officials said they planned to keep the schools closed for the duration of the strike but would re evaluate the decision on a Day to Day basis. Negotiators had agreed to continue talks past a Midnight strike deadline but Media Tor David Thorley said the teachers walked out because the two sides were nearly As far apart wednesday As they were when the session began tuesday morning. The mediator said he would Call for another session in a few Days. The Issue dividing the two sides Ispay the Union asked for a 3 percent raise the first year of a three year contract and raises of at least 4 percent in the second and third years. The Board offered 2.5 percent the first year 3.2 percent the Sec Ond and 4 percent the third. About two dozen teachers picketed Early wednesday at some of the District s Large buildings said Janna Bruner Union Secre tary treasurer. Striking teachers did not impede other employees from entering said Joann Robb a District spokeswoman
