European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - January 17, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse Tuesday january 17, 1989 the stars and stripes Page 7 Many inaugural events free to the Public Washington a the record Cost of the Bush inauguration will be matched by a record number of free events open to the Public say inaugural planners intent on proving they Are no preoccupied with Gold and officials estimate 70 percent of their events Are free including a forum for High school students a children s festival and a Public White House Welcome that will constitute George Bush s first offi Cial act As president. Those events Cost Money and Don bring in any but they Are a key element in an inaugural schedule designed to Fos Ter inclusiveness and family feeling say top officials of the presidential inaugural committee. The free events plus inflation 11inaugural balls and the usual galas and Glitz Are driving inaugural costs into the $25 million Range. By comparison president Reagan s 1981 and 1985 inaugurals Cost $15.5 million and $20 Mil lion respectively. Most of the Money is raised privately and All of it is being tightly monitored according to those who hold the purse strings at inaugural Headquarters. We Are extremely Cost conscious said Stephen Studdert executive director of the inaugural committee. We try tobit everything that can be bid. We try to get the Best bang for the Buck. The Dol Lars Are not being spent for Gold and Glit Ter. They Are being spent on substantive Bush himself said he is not entirely comfortable with the Cost of his inauguration. But he added that i have no apologies for the Way we re doing it be cause the country deserves a Celebration every four years. Asked at a news briefing whether the$25 million would t be better spent on the homeless Stephen m. Studdert executive director of the inaugural commit tee said the inauguration represents the strength and continuity of american democracy and the peaceful Transfer of Power and was worthy of the inaugural committee raised $20million in interest free Loans from 200 corporations who advanced $100,000each. The Money will be repaid from various sources most of it from the yet undetermined take from ticket sales. Other anticipated revenues include with the White House in the background an army band marches past the presidential reviewing stand on Pennsylvania Avenue As it rehearses for the inaugural Parade. About $1.5 million from Sale of commemorative items some $2 million from Sale of tickets and advertising time associated with a televised Kennedy Center gala and an estimated $2 million in in kind contributions and corporate and individual sponsorships. Asked about the appearance of corporations trying to Curry favor with the new administration Studdert said the transition team has no idea who has sup ported the the committee does not have to Dis close its finances. However it has decided to publish a list of corporate lenders in kind contributors and corporation Sand individuals underwriting particular aspects of the inauguration. Reminded of this Studdert replied we re not distributing copies of it specifically to presidential personnel or even with millions flowing in from sales and contributors taxpayers Aren t entirely off the Hook. First there s the building the Genera services administration turned Over to inaugural committee for its Headquarters. Set in the Middle of a Navy Yard in an Industrial Section of Washington the building had been used to store machine guns. It has been converted with a combination of inaugural committee and Gas funds Studdert said. Other parts of the inauguration also Are being paid for by taxpayers. For example Congress appropriated $750,000 to the joint congressional committee on inaugural ceremonies to take care of the actual swearing in ceremony and a luncheon to follow. Congress also earmarked $2.5 million As the operating budget for the armed forces inaugural committee which currently counts 1,294 people at its head quarters and expects that figure swell to 1,500 at the inaugural Peak. The military also expects to contribute 8,500 people to March in the Parade drive dignitaries to inaugural relate events and serve in other capacities. Congress tried to Stem the government Cost of such services last year by direct ing the Pentagon to seek reimbursement for All personnel participation in non Public events but the provision is not legally binding and is unlikely to have much of an Impact this time around. Culver schools 4 die after fall into Frozen Lake top record for fund raising Culver ind. Not Culver Mili tary Academy and Culver girls Academy have raised a record $60 million in a five year Campaign Academy officials said. Educational fund raisers said the amount raised by the schools in Culver ind., was the largest single Campaign total raised by an american private secondary school. The previous record was $52 Mil lion raised by Phillips Academy in Andover mass. The Culver educational foundation which owns and operates the two school Sand some summer Camps originally set a goal of $47 million but decided As the Campaign progressed to go for the re Cord said Ralph Manuel the foundation s president. Half the Money will go into the schools endowment for a total of More than $50 million. The rest will go to faculty salaries scholarships and a new Library. Culver military Academy was founded in 1894 by Henry Harrison Culver a St. Louis industrialist. In 1971 Culver girls Academy was established on the 1,500-acre Campus. The 450 boys and 250 girls share Aca Demic buildings and equipment As Well As faculty members. Bangor a. A a woman and three children who fell into an ice Cov ered Lake sunday died after at least 30 minutes exposure to the frigid Waters authorities said. Carolee Strunk 28, of Bangor Mother of two of the children survived the Long est after the Accident at approximately 2 30 . At mini Lake a popular ice fishing spot some 65 Miles North of Phil Adelphia. She was admitted in critical condition to Lehigh Valley Hospital Center but died late sunday night authorities said. April Strunk 9, and Jared Strunk 5, her son and daughter died a few hours after the Accident. A family Friend Sarah Bowers 8, of East Bangor was pronounced dead at 8 35 ., Hospital spokesman Rob Stevens said. The four fell through the ice about 150 Yards from Shore and eventually were pulled out along with an unidentified Fisherman who fell in going to their assistance said Daryl Moser a Rescue offi Cial. The Fisherman was treated at a Hospi Tal and discharged officials said. April and Jared were taken to Pocono Hospital in East Stroudsburg where april was declared dead at 5 30 . And Jared was declared dead about 45 min utes later officials said. Coroner Bob Allen said that people immersed in icy water for four minute usually suffer brain death but people have been known to survive More than30 minutes. Upper mount Bethel township police officer Brett Young said the fish and game commission had posted warning signs about the ice. He said police did not know Why the four were on the ice. There were no witnesses. Young said the temperature in the area was about 40 degrees during the Day. To Unfer firefighters agree to Knock it off los Angeles a fire officials Hope they have doused the enthusiasm of two volunteers who Rush to Brush fires i their 1958 fire engine and 3,000-gallon water truck sometimes ahead of the Reg ular firefighters. William Myers and Mark Siebert agreed to recent los Angeles fire department orders to Stop their efforts. But they say they have earned the right to form a firefighting team because of their participation in the los Angeles Community fire patrol the neighbourhood watch style Arm of the fire department. You might think we re eccentric Myers said. But our eccentricity Proba Bly does a whole lot of authorities disagreed however claim ing the two have hampered paid fire fighters. They just Don t understand the Dan Gers to themselves and other people said John Orr Glendale fire depart ment senior arson investigator. If they Are found interfering with our activities in Glendale again they will be Orr said Myers and Siebert blocked Road with their vehicles and hampered firefighters at an oct. 15 fire. But Homeowner Joe Cohen said the two beat City firefighters to a Blaze on his property. It was All Over in five minutes but who knows How bad it would have gotten Cohen said. Myers a 39-year-old building contractor said he and Siebert who runs a fir equipment rental business Are not seeking publicity and Are not trying to form another fire department. Siebert 30, said he an Myers take their work seriously and have attended Community College classes infighting wildfires
