European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - September 16, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 24 a a the stars and stripes sunday september 16, 1990nasa starts 4th countdown on Columbia Cape canaveral Fla. Apr Nasa replaced a Leaky Lemper Turc sensor in the Columbia and began the fourth countdown Early saturday of the shuttles astronomy Mission. The countdown began As scheduled at 5 . Greenwich mean time. Liftoff is scheduled for 5 28 get on tuesday. Nasa has Only a few Days in which to launch Columbia. After that the space Agency will turn its attention to discovery which must lift off with a Sun probe by oct. 23 or face a 13-month delay. Officials of the National aeronautics and space administration said they believe All of columbian a Hydrogen leaks have been plugged but they wont know for sure until fueling begins monday. The temperature sensor about the size of a spark plug was replaced after a helium test late thursday uncovered slight leakage in the area said Bascom Mur Rah a Nasa official in charge of prelaunch operations for Columbia. The sensor is on a fuel line leading to one of the three main engines in the rear compartment. A final Check produced no further leaks Murrah said. Earlier this week workers replaced a crushed Seal on a fuel valve. Engineers believe Hydrogen entered columbian a rear compartment around the Seal during fueling for the first launch attempt in May and one last week. Until this week a we were shot gunning it. We were going at the thing even if we did no to know it was leaking a Murrah said. A we have found two definite leaks. To me that says we be actually found something a fixed 6 a Nasa has spent the summer tracking and repairing Hydrogen leaks in Columbia and in Atlantis. The Lac shuttle to Fly was discovery in april. Columbian a seven astronauts return to Kenneth space Center this weekend for another try at Gettis off the ground. Four of the Crew members Are astronomers who will operate an on Board Observatory Taouil Astro. The Mission will be the first in five years devoted entirely to scientific research. Astros three ultraviolet telescopes and one a Ray Telescope will observe More than 260 High Energy objects. 1 problems with the a Ray Telescope forced Nasa Tol halt columbian a second countdown late last Africa to Clamp Down on Black violence Johannesburg South Africa apr police saturday announced a crackdown on violence in Black townships saying they will Send in reinforcements set up roadblocks and equip police vehicles with machine guns. The announcement came hours after Nelson Mandela blamed the government and police for instigating Black factional fighting which he said could degenerate into a full scale civil War Quot across the country. Maj. Gen. Gorrit Erasmus told a news conference that the crackdown would be implemented immediately to curb the a senseless intolerable violence that has claimed almost 800 lives since it erupted in Early August in the townships around Johannesburg the main combatants Are zulus Loyal to the conservative inkatha movement and xhosa and other Blacks who support Mandela s african National Congress police said the townships were quiet overnight however associated press staffers witnessed an unarmed Black being stoned stabbed and set afire at a train station in Soweto saturday morning. The attackers said they were supporters of the Anc and the victim was a Zulu Loyal to inkatha. Erasmus said that under a operation Iron fist a police reinforcements would be sent to train stations and migrant workers hostels places where Many of the recent attacks have occurred. Barbed wire would be placed around the hostels and no one would be allowed to enter or leave with weapons he said. A emr. Mandela wants an Iron fist a we will give an Iron fist a Erasmus promised. Also machine guns would be mounted on armoured patrol vehicles a to curb attacks against police a Erasmus added. He said the machine guns would be used Only when necessary against individuals not on crowds. A they attack us with ak-47s assault rifles a Erasmus said. A shotguns against an a Are no police patrols already carry sub machine guns in addition to shotguns. Roadblocks have been set up in Soweto and other townships around Johannesburg and curfews might be imposed he said. The government last month sent police and army reinforcements into the townships and imposed emergency regulations but it has not slowed the violence which has spread into the City of Johannesburg. Anc spokesman Saki Mac Ozoma said the new police measures could have saved Many lives if they had been implemented sooner. He said the organization objected to the machine guns saying they could result in unnecessary deaths. Inkatha Leader mangos thu but Elezi said he believes the primary cause of the violence is the a an cd a decades Long Calls on South africans to kill for political but Mandela at a speech in a synagogue Friday night said the government and police were helping orchestrate the fighting. De Klerk said Friday that unidentified groups were attempting to sabotage government efforts to end apartheid and draw up a new Constitution free of racial discrimination. De Klerks statement did not elaborate but it suggested that the unidentified forces were not part of the government. The president has repeatedly denied Anc accusations that police Are siding with inkatha. De Klerk has said individual policemen May have acted improperly but that the Force As a whole has remained Neutral. The Anc and inkatha the two largest Black political movements both oppose apartheid but differ Over tactics and plans for a future South Africa. The Anc favors some degree of government economic control while inkatha champions a free Market. The two sides Are also divided Over leadership issues with the strongly Zulu nationalist inkatha charging the Anc is xhosa dominated. Many top Anc leaders Are xhosa but it spurns tribal ties. Under apartheid South africans 5 million Whites dominate the Economy and politics and the 30 million Blacks have no voice in National from Page 1 Side. To cast this As republicans for the Rich and they Are for everybody else a Dole said. A that is the old Democrat lie that has been out Here for 20, 30,40 an angry sen. Pete v. Domenici of new Mexico ranking Republican on the Senate budget committee said that disclosures to reporters threaten the already slow Progress of the talks. Senate majority Leader George j. Mitchell a Maine later joined condemnation of from Page 1 Royal air Force Royal auxiliary air Force Royal air Force Volunteer Reserve Royal observer corps air training corps and other groups escorting the standards of the 17 Battle of Britain squadrons which Are still operational. The Canadian australian and new zealand air forces were each represented by a marching unit. Also taking part were representatives of the fire brigade metropolitan police and the ambulance serv ice which fought their own Battles in 1940 against fires and explosions during the bombings. A total of 534 air crewmen a one in six a were killed during the Battle and Many others were seriously injured. The Raf lost 1,017 aircraft and Germany a Luftwaffe lost 1,882. After the Battle Winston Churchill paid his famous tribute to the victors a never in the Field of human conflict was so much owed by so Many to so it was Britain a lonely resistance to the German onslaught Early in world War ii that Churchill called the nation s a finest on sunday the Queen and other members of the Royal family planned to attend a service of thanksgiving at Westminster from Page 1 . Economic sanctions Aims at pressuring Iraq to withdraw from Kuwait which it invaded aug. 2 and later annexed in a dispute Over Oil land and Money. The , Security Council was expected to meet this weekend to discuss Mitterrand a proposal for widening sanctions on Iraq and to punish countries and companies breaking the embargo. The foreign ministry summoned Al Hachimi saturday to hear the expulsion order against 11 embassy personnel ministry spokesman Daniel Bernard said. They included six diplomats three military attaches and two officers from the iraqi military Mission said the French news Agency Agency France Presse. France also will expel 26 iraqi civilian and military personnel taking training courses in France and 14 other iraqis whom Mitterrand labelled a secret agents. Remaining iraqi diplomats will be confined to the Paris City limits Mitterrand said. The French forces bound for saudi Ara Bia include a Squadron of 30 warplanes a 1,100-Man helicopter regiment with 48 combat choppers an armoured regiment with 48 tanks and an infantry regiment with antitank and anti air missiles. France already has nine warships in the Gulf Region As Well As 300 ground troops in saudi Arabia and the United Arab emirates for a total of 3,800 troops. The French moves came in response to raids by iraqi troops on the missions or diplomatic residences of France Canada and Belgium on Friday. Four French citizens including the military attache and the consuls of five nations including the United states were detained in the raids. The French attache and the consuls were released but Mitterrand said the three other French nationals were being held. Iraq on aug. 24 ordered the 60 embassies in Kuwait to close and move their representation to Baghdad. Power and water were Cut to missions that remained open and Many were surrounded by iraqi troops. But 17 missions remained open to show they still recognized Kuwait As a Sovereign nation and to keep in touch with the foreigners who remain trapped in the emirate. About 2,200 americans Are captive in Kuwait and Iraq and Many men Are being held at strategic iraqi installations to deter any attack by forces. On saturday an iraqi airways jetliner left London a Gatwick Airport for Baltimore carrying More than 350 evacuees mostly american women and children. Another iraqi airways jetliner left Baghdad carrying 169 foreign evacuees from Kuwait to London an official at Baghdad Airport reported. He said 145 americans were aboard the Boeing 707. Recent escapees from Kuwait have said that the emirate once a showcase of stability and wealth has been ravaged beyond recognition by Saddam a marauding soldiers and by civilian iraqi looters. They said however that the most critical problem facing kuwaitis was finding enough food to eat. The . Embargo has stopped shipments of food and other supplies into Kuwait and Iraq. The times of London quoted Victor Watkins an official of the world society for the Protection of animals As saying iraqi soldiers in Kuwait have eaten 70 percent of the edible animals in Kuwait a zoo. The newspaper did not specify How Watkins got his information or How Many animals were in the zoo. In other developments a the Indian government said saturday it would Send 11,000 tons of Rice lentils and other non perishable items to help feed thousands of indians stranded in Kuwait. The shipment was to leave for Kuwait sunday. On thursday the United nations said food shipments would be allowed into Iraq on a Case by Case basis. A in Egypt a senior Security officer said Cairo is intensifying its Campaign against Iraq by restricting entry of iraqis and citizens of Arab countries that support Saddam. The official said the curbs apply to jordanians yemenis and palestinians. A the Bush administration is preparing ask Congress to approve the Sale to saudi Arabia of $18 billion in weapons including f-15 Eagle fighter jets tanks and other sophisticated arms a . Official said on condition of anonymity. A soviet defense minister Dmitri Yazoo said saturday a total of 178 iraqi military personnel were undergoing training in the soviet Union but were due to return to Iraq when their contracts expire in november. He was interviewed by the Moscow newspaper pravda
