Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, November 8, 1990

You are currently viewing page 6 of: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, November 8, 1990

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - November 8, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 6 a a the stars and stripes thursday november 8,1990 stateside Ohio s top court Dis bars flier Root after conviction Columbus Ohio up the Ohio supreme court has disbarred convicted lawyer Thomas Root whose plane went Down in the Atlantic Ocean last year after he was mysteriously shot. Root was convicted of securities fraud in connection with a North Carolina Media company a activities. Ohio a High court took action after he failed to respond to an order to show Why he should not be disciplined. Root who lives in Virginia was sentenced to 15 years in prison in North Carolina and fined $5,000 after pleading no contest to 364 counts of securities fraud conspiracy and related charges. He Drew National attention when his Small plane crashed in the Atlantic in 1989 with no explanation and he emerged with a gunshot wound. Last june a Nash county n.c., grand jury handed up a lengthy indictment containing 2,695 counts against Root and other officials of Sunrise management services and Elemedia inc., a company that helped form partnerships to obtain Federal licenses for Low Power pm radio stations. Root was disbarred by his own consent in the District of  ties up 3 teens then stabs 2 to death new York not two teen age girls were stabbed to death tuesday afternoon at a Bronx apartment Complex during a possible robbery police said. A police spokesman officer Scott Bloch said three female cousins Ages 14, 15 and 17, were forced out of an elevator at their apartment Complex at 3 50 . By a Man with a gun. They were ordered into the fifth floor apartment where at least one of the girls lived. The assailant tied up All three girls two in one room and the third in another. Bloch said the third girl who was not identified freed herself and called the police. Officers found the two victims bound and dead from Many Stab wounds. The killer described As a 6-foot-1 Black Man 18 to 20 years old had fled. Bloch said the teen agers Michele Ross 17, who lived in the ransacked apartment and Sharon Sadhu 15, had been stabbed with several knives from the apartments Kitchen. A videocassette recorder was missing from the apartment. Bennett stepping Down As nation s drug War Czar Washington a William j. Bennett is re signing As the nations drug policy director the White House announced wednesday saying he had helped produce a a turnaround in americans attitudes toward drugs. President Bush was to accept Bennett a resignation in a ceremony at the White House on thursday spokesman Marlin Fitzwater said. Administration sources revealed his departure plans tuesday night and Fitzwater confirmed them. Bush is not yet ready to name a successor Fitzwater said. He denied that Bennett was leaving because of threats to his family saying Bennett Quot has lived with threats of a kind Ever since Day one of the  Bennett the former Secretary of education became the nations first director of drug control policy last year at the outset of the Bush administration. Quot the president feels that Bill Bennett has provided extraordinary leadership and service to the country during his tenure As drug Czar a the spokesman said. A two years ago this country viewed this problem As impossible to Deal with and with no end in sight a said Fitzwater. A today there has been a turnaround. There is Strong bipartisan support in the Congress for drug programs and there is growing evidence that society is beginning to turn away from the drug  earlier an administration source said Bennett was leaving after 18. Months in office with a feeling of accomplishment. Quot he set out to do a task he a done it and he a seeing the fruition of it a the source said tuesday. A now he a going on to the next phase of his  the source said Bennett has no new Job lined up. The source said Bennett also has been subject to increasing threats to his safety recently. Bennett 47, designed the nations anti drug strategy which focuses heavily on drug users As the fuel that keeps International gangster organizations in business. His plans devoted about 70 percent of the Money to Law enforcement the rest to treatment and education. The voluble Bennett has used his Job of director of the office of National drug control policy As a bully pulpit much As he did when he was education Secretary under president Reagan. He travelled the nation praising anti drug activists and urging tougher drug Laws and novel punishments As Well As treatment and education programs. He was critical of Congress when it tried to change his plans and denounced Calls for drug decriminalization As being Quot stupid and morally  one reason Bennett is leaving is concern for his safety and that of his wife and Young sons the source said. A there have been some threats bomb threats personal threats a the source said. On a recent swing through Alaska where he campaigned for a ballot measure to re criminalize marijuana a third bodyguard was assigned. When Bennett was confirmed in March 1988, Many said fighting the War on drugs would prove a hopeless task. But he said during a ceremony in september that Progress had been made that a the drug problem a in general nationwide a is no longer getting worse and in some very significant aspects it is now getting better. Not Victory but  retired of it. Gen. Lindsay Dies in Calif Hospital at 85 Glendale Calif. Apr Richard Clark Lindsay a retired air Force lieutenant general who commanded nato air forces in Southern Europe has died. He was 85. Lindsay died of heart failure saturday at a Glendale Hospital said his son Richard b. Lindsay of Fremont. Bom in Minneapolis Lindsay graduated from the University of Minnesota and enlisted As a flying Cadet with the army air corps in 1928. He became assistant director of training at Brooks Field in Texas in 1941. Later that year he joined the War department general staff. Lindsay became chief of the combined joint staff division of the army air forces he in 1944. In 1945, he served As assistant chief of staff of plans for the . Army strategic air forces at Guam. Lindsay served in Tokyo for 10 years then was appointed commander of nato air forces in Southern Europe in 1957. He held the position until he retired from the service in 1960. He worked As a consultant to defense contractors until 1969. In addition to his son survivors include a daughter Raylyn Terrell of Alexandria a. Nine grandchildren and eight  studios Back lot sets gutted by fire Universal City Calif. A the set where Warren Beatty flirted with Madonna in a Dick Tracy and a City Square from a Aback to the future part ii were among the movie properties gutted in a fire at Universal studios. The Blaze which burned mainly in the Back lot tuesday night also damaged the studio Tours earthquake ride and the King Kong attraction which features a 37-Root mechanical Gorilla that appears to shake Tram loads of tourists. Hundreds of firefighters backed by water dropping helicopters put out the windblown flames about three hours after the fire broke out at the 420-acre studio Hollywood a biggest and longest running movie factory. Universal studios is visited by millions of tourists each year. A it roared through the sets like a wildfire. It s like a Blowtorch when the wind pushes the fire up against these structures a said los Angeles county battalion chief a Bennett. Most of the damage was to the unbaked wooden facades along the route of the studio tour the third most popular tourist attraction in the nation. Among outdoor sets destroyed were new York Street where parts of Quot the sting were filmed Brownstone Street and courthouse Square where Michael j. Fox Rode his Jet powered skateboard in a Aback to the future part  the Quot Dick Tracy set also was gutted county fire inspector Jim Gandee said. The cause of the fire was not immediately known. One firefighter was slightly injured. Fire chief p. Michael Freeman estimated the damage in the millions. Studio management planned to tour the $630 million theme Park wednesday to assess the damage Ron Bension president of Universal studios Hollywood estimated 20 percent of the studios sets were lost. The flames fanned  to 50 Mph were do sect As they crept up to two film vaults. The Universal film Library which includes . The extraterrestrial a a a jaws and a twins a is Worth hundreds of millions. The film Library is vital to acquisition talks Between Matsushita electrical Industrial co. And Mca inc., Universal a Parent. Matsushita has been discussing a multimillion Dollar buyout of Mca. The studio nestled in the Hollywood Hills 10 Miles from downtown los Angeles features a seven hour journey through the Back lot and includes a guided Tram tour that takes viewers into sets and a simulated earthquake. The King Kong building was closed wednesday but damage to the building was not severe Bension said. About 200 Universal employees and about 160 people at two restaurants on the studio grounds were evacuated after the fire broke out at 7 18 . Firefighters work to control a windblown Blaze racing through Universal movie properties  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade