European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - February 25, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Inside stripes q Eastern reaches agreement before assets Are seized Page 2 nets demand the release of americans in Vietnam Page 5 d 5th Dodds Winter special olympics pages 14,15 the stars and stripes authorized unofficial publication . Armed forces vol. 44. No. 312 tuesday february 25. 1986 of \ Isco my and sum d 8693 a Aquino prepares for takeover but Marcos denies he s leaving Manila Philippines a an pm hauled president Ferdinand e. Marcos declared a slate of emergency monday in an Effort to quell a revolt led by two top Mili tary leaders. Marcos went on television to scoff at reports he is preparing to flee the country. But ousted defense minister Juan Ponce Enrioc one of the two rebellious military officials declared he is forming a provision Al government led by opposition presiden tial candidate Cunt on Aquino. Aquino broadcasting Over the roman Catholic station radio Veritas claimed Triumph Over Marcos and asked for massive demonstrations around Enrioc and it. Gen. Fidel a Ramos Deputy chief of the armed forces to consolidate that i Call upon people to be considerate even with the last remnants of the Marcos military she said. A military helicopter made a pass at the presidential Palace and fired a grenade at the building according to soldiers on the grounds. They said a tank fired at the Heli copter. Associated press reporter Miguel c. Suarcz said he heard several explosions and Rifle fire from the Palace grounds. One Soldier said he had been hit by shrapnel and col. Vicente Tigas of the presidential Security command told journalists to leave the Palace grounds. We cannot guarantee your safety he said. Marcos in a broadcast Over the govern ment television station declared i intend to stay on As but the broadcast see Aquino on Page 28 6.-m filipino demonstrators near he presidential Palace flee As troops Loyal to president Ferdinand Marcos open fire. Open door of neutrality protesters urge Spain to leave nato Madrid Spain a an estimated 75,000 demonstrators sunday called on voters to reject continued Span ish membership in nato in a March 12 referendum. A spokesman for organizers of the Madrid March for peace Rafael Grasa told the crowd Spain should open the door to neutrality by withdrawing from the North Atlantic treaty organization. Spain joined nato in May 1982 under a centrist government. Prime minister Felipe Gonzalez s socialist party opposed nato membership while in opposition but once in office Gonzalez said he believed Spain should be a member. Gonzalez set the conditions however that Spain not integrate its armed forces into nato s joint military command Structure remain a nuclear free zone and negotiate a reduction of . Troops in Spain. The United states has four military bases in Spain. The demonstrators included leftist political parties dissident socialists Trade unions and Christian peace organizations. No violence was reported. Four socialist ministers and the socialist head of the Madrid autonomous Region visited Madrid neighbourhoods sunday to Campaign for a pro nato referendum vote. A poll published sunday showed More spaniards still favor leaving nato than staying in the Alliance but the Gap Between the two positions is narrowing. The Survey conducted by the Aleph organization for the Independent daily Al pais found 34.2 percent of those questioned said they would vote against membership and 25.2 percent said they would vote yes. An Al pais Aleph Survey two weeks ago of a similar Sample of 1,525 people found 39 percent planned to vote against nato membership and 21 percent would vote yes. The polls conducted in fact to face interviews had a margin of error of 2.6 percentage Points. A separate poll released saturday by the government funded Center for sociological research found 31 percent of the 2,500 people surveyed said they would vote against nato membership and 27 percent said they would vote in favor of it. The poll was conducted in person and by Telephone and the margin of error was not Given. Pm Plant in South Africa moves against apartheid Johannesburg South Africa a a general motors Plant in port Eliza Beth said sunday it would give non White employees Legal Aid if they were prosecuted for swimming at their City s Whites Only beaches. Bob White manager of general motors Plant in the Southern City of port Elizabeth said that the company would give Legal and financial assistance to any of its 1,800 non White employees prosecuted for using the beaches. I am trying to take some action Hope fully get the local authorities to get rid of some of the apartheid regulations they apply in port Elizabeth he said in a Tele phone interview. Segregated beaches Are Basic to local government apartheid and a port Elizabeth City subcommittee has recommended that municipal inspectors be empowered to press charges against any non White found on a Whites Only Beach. The move followed a new year protest swim by coloureds As mixed race South africans Are called at King s Beach the most popular of port Elizabeth s four Whites Only beaches. Two other beaches Are for coloureds Only and one is reserved for Blacks. Cape town and Durban the country s other big coastal cities have desegregated their beaches in recent years. Port Elizabeth s City Council is to discuss the committee recommendation thursday and according to local newspapers it is split 50-50. Chris Meyer a conservative councilor claimed general motors move is bedevil see pm on Page 28
