European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 17, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 2 the stars and stripes monday March 17,1986 administration wants to Send Marcos finance data to Aquino news update new York a the Reagan administration told a Federal judge saturday it is vital to . Foreign policy to give the philippine government copies of 1,500 documents that might shed Light on property held by deposed president Ferdinand e. Marcos. I strongly believe that it is in the foreign policy interests of the . Government to Honor the philippine government s request Michael h. Armacost the undersecretary of state for political affairs said in an affidavit entered at a hearing at the . Court of International Trade. His statement strongly indicated a willingness on the part of the Reagan administration to help the new philippine govern ment of Corazon Aquino in its efforts to investigate Marcos holdings to which it May Lay claim. The records in the custody of the . Customs service were among the plane Load of possessions brought to Hawaii last month by Marcos after he was ousted from Power by supporters of Aquino and invited to the United states by president Reagan. Investigators have said the records May contain vital clues to Marcos wealth which they estimate at up to $10 billion. . Government lawyers introduced Armacost s affidavit As the Trade court consid ered a request by Marcos to have the documents released to him alone. The lawyers agreed not to release the papers to anyone until judge Dominick l. Dicarlo ruled on monday. The Issue also is before a . District court judge in Hawaii who has issued a temporary order barring the release of some documents. The . Lawyers said they would Challenge that order. Justice department lawyer David m. Cohen disclosed at the hearing that the Reagan administration entered saturday into a formal agreement with the philippine government to provide it with copies of the documents. Marcos lawyer Richard Hibey accused the Reagan administration of placing Politi Cal expediency before the Law by retaining the documents and he said disclosing them would violate Marcos rights to due process and privacy. Have a court of Law decide rather than have a political judgment determine our rights without our input and cause a run Ning roughshod Over the customs Laws of our country he told Dicarlo. The customs process has been Dele Giti mixed Hibey declared. It s been poli Hibey called the customs service s with Olding of the documents a second illegality and suggested that the first illegal action May have been the evacuation of Marcos and his party from the Philippines by the United states. He said Marcos had expected to be transported to the Northern Philippines not to Hawaii and he questioned what he said was a claim by . Officials at the time that they could guarantee Marcos safety Only by taking him out of the country. In Washington Jovita r. Salonga head of a philippine commission investigating Marcos finances emerged from a meeting with Armacost and said we have been assured of full cooperation by the . Government within the context not Only of american Law but philippine Law and inter National Salonga said he doubted any decision by Marcos to leave the United states and set the elsewhere would affect his efforts to identify and gain philippine government control of . Real estate Marcos allegedly owns. John Maisto director of philippine affairs at the state department declined to comment on published reports Over the past two weeks that Marcos rather than set the in Honolulu As planned is considering moving to Singapore or another country where he could not be ordered to appear at . Court proceedings. The new York times reported in Sun Day s editions that Marcos has asked the United states to help him obtain permission to Settle in Spain Mexico or Panama. Marcos and his family have been the United states at Hickham fab in Hawaii since his departure from the Philippines. Meanwhile in Texas lawyers said Fri Day that the philippine government plans to file a Federal lawsuit this week in an Effort to claim properties there it believes were purchased with funds taken illegally by Marcos. Michael e. Tigar named to represent the philippine government by the new York based Center for constitutional rights which is helping the commission said the suit will ask to recover property acquired from funds stolen from the people in the Gerber ban lifted Annapolis a gov. Harry Hughes has lifted a Maryland ban on the Sale of Gerber strained peaches imposed last month after Consumers reported finding Glass in several jars of baby food. The governor said a joint investigation by the state and the Federal food and drug administration determined the pieces of Glass in the jars do not appear to be the result of any defects in Gerber s manufacturing he said the Glass apparently got into the jars after the food was pack aged. The state health department or dered Gerber products co s strained peaches removed from grocery store shelves on feb. 23 and advised con Sumers to be cautious about buying other Gerber products. Fewer measles cases Chicago up the number of annual measles cases in the United states has dropped from a half Mil lion 25 years ago to just a couple of thousand today but those last few cases have stubbornly spread often in doctors offices. The National centers for disease control at Atlanta reporting in the journal of the american medical association notes that hospitals and doctors offices continue to provide Fertile ground for transmission of the once common childhood disease. The report said that transmission in medical facilities does occur and in recent years has apparently played an important role in perpetuating measles rescuers pull More survivors from hotel wreckage Singapore up nine More people were res cued sunday from the Concrete and twisted steel wreck age of a collapsed hotel triggering a burst of desperate digging by hand and heavy equipment. Engineers and civil defense workers probing the rubble of the six Story new world hotel said a group of seven survivors came from one level of the hotel and a couple came from another level. Soldiers and civil defense workers formed human chains to pass chunks of Concrete and baskets of debris As three heavy diggers clawed into the Mound where limbs and Heads stuck out squeezed Between tons of building Materi Al. Rescue workers initially tried to reach the survivors from the rear of the building but safety considerations made them switch tactics to an All out digging assault from the front witnessed by thousands of spectators and television cameras. By dusk sunday More than 30 hours after the hotel collapsed six people were confirmed dead four of them from a malaysian family including a 13-year-old girl and 4-year-old boy. Officials said nine people have been saved after previously announcing 10 survivors. Four of the survivors were hospitalized one in critical condition authorities said. There was no explanation for the disaster believed to be the worst in Singapore history but suspicion has begun to focus on the structural supports of the 13-year-old hotel. Lee wee Siong 36, a transport company worker said he saw workers erecting supports in the Small car Park underneath the hotel saturday morning just before the collapse. He said he was shocked when the workers told him the wooden beams were used for support and he ran from the building. As soon As i turned Back after crossing the Road i saw three children walking near the hotel said Lee. Before i could even shout to warn them the hotel giant Concrete slabs formerly hotel Walls and other debris that crashed in seconds were taken away for an investigation into the cause of the disaster. Officials also began assembling construction blueprints and other documents related to the hotel. The Clay soil under the hotel also was suspected As contributing to the collapse. It rained every Day for two weeks in Singapore before the building toppled shaking the ground and sending a deafening rumble through the greek truck Drivers announce end of 28-Day strike Athens Greece a truck Drivers saturday called off a 28-Day-Long strike that caused shortages of food and fuel around Greece clogged National roads and sparked clashes with police. Premier Andreas Papandreou s socialist government immediately announced it would lift a two Day old civil mobilization order against More than 40,000 truckers contracted to make deliveries for govern ment and state owned services. Since the truckers have ended their strike the government has decided to lift the mobilization order government spokesman Miltiades Papaioannou said. More than 60 truckers were arrested in minor clashes with police during demonstrations in several cities. Police also re moved License plates from hundreds of trucks that lined Greece s National High ways throughout the strike. The greek federation of truck Drivers Sao said the government had agreed to return the confiscated License plates and to begin substantive talks to help solve our after two Days of meetings with trans port and communication ministry officials the presidents of local truckers unions voted 48-42 to Call off the strike Kosmas Mastro Kolias a member of the truckers strike committee told the associated press. We decided to end the strike because we did t want any serious incidents with police to occur. We also did t want to cause any further problems for the greek people Mastro Kolias said. The truckers Are demanding hikes in Road haulage rates and exemption from paying increased Highway tolls introduced earlier this month. They also want the government to drop plans to raise freight rates and pension fund contributions and require truckers to keep detailed accounting re cords. The government last week introduced amendments to a proposed tax Law intended to meet some of the truckers demands. The strike caused shortages of milk fresh fruit and vegetables and imported goods in the capital As deliveries were Cut off from Aegean islands and from abroad. Gasoline and heating fuel were in Short Supply in Northern Greece while Farmers reported shortages of animal feed. Artificial heart patient Haydon visits his Home Louisville by. A Murray Haydon went Home for a visit saturday and went into his House for the first time since he left in february 1985 to receive the Jar Vik-7 heart pump Hospital officials said. The 59-year-old artificial heart recipient had made two other Van rides including one to his Home in the Louisville suburb of St. Matthews but had not gone inside. He went in for a Short time after the photographers left said Humana Hospital Audubon spokeswoman Donna Hazle. Haydon had been confined to the Hospi Tal for nearly a year before he left the grounds in january to travel to a nearby apartment. He also took a Van ride to his Home in Early february but did not get out because it was too cold said Hazle. Neighbors gathered in the front Yard to Greet Haydon at 11 30 . Saturday. He was Back in the Hospital As planned Early saturday afternoon. Leda Parsons a neighbor said Haydon spent about an hour at his Home. He sat in his favorite chair and watched a basketball game she said. He did t say anything to me but i talked to him and told him i prayed for him every night and that he looked Good. I told him he looked awfully spiffy in that red shirt and he held my hand and pressed
