European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - November 17, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 2the stars and stripes saturday november 17,1990laniipiitsaint explains freeze on Transfer expects it to last through Christmas by Rosemary Sawyer staff writer Heidelberg Germany a the . Army in Europe issued a Blanket halt to transfers out of the theater to ensure that a stable Force is deployed for operation desert shield and to reduce turbulence Usa eur s top general said Friday. Commanders will sort out personnel requirements necessary to their missions during the Stop loss period which began last week. In some cases this Means postponing or altering assignments and retirements of experienced Usa eur soldiers. A it does no to make Good sense to deploy to what could turn into a combat zone with new people a said Gen. Crosbie e. Saint commander of . Army Europe and 7th army. A the people who have trained together you want to hold them likewise it would not make sense to Send soldiers Back to the states Only to turn around and have to Fly them Back Saint said. A i can to Tell you How Long the Stop loss will be in effect. Probably it depends specifically on what happens in Southwest Asia Quot he said. However Saint said he expected it would still be in effect at Christmas. Commanders must review whether sufficient replacements Are coming in to support the european Mission he said. And they also must look at How to pull out 30,000 troops in the next year As called for by defense Secretary Dick Cheney. A we need to clarify exactly How we re going to do that in the time Frame because some of the units that i have identified to draw Down Are going to Southwest Asia a Saint said during a news conference marking the 30th anniversary of natos Central army group. A you have to determine whether that draw Down is inclusive or you still have to take More soldiers although a final decision has not been made Saint said he expected the units selected for draw Down would have to return to Germany from the persian Gulf Befu going to the states. A if i were a betting individual i would say that they will probably be withdrawn when they come Back to pick up their belongings and help close out some things he said. A it depends on How the solution in Southwest Asia is arrived however despite the desert deployment of an estimated 100,000 troops from Europe Saint said he was confident of the residual forces ability to maintain its nato Mission commitments. A the Force that will stay Here will continue to be trained a Saint said. He also noted that troops have been training in warfare tactics that Are based on defending a larger area with fewer forces. Oliver North playing Santa to Gulf troops Sterling a. Up a Iran Contra figure Oliver North is sending 100,000 Christmas care packages to . Troops serving in operation desert shield. North a retired Marine lieutenant colonel convicted of three criminal charges in the Iran Contra scandal is president of the Freedom Alliance which initiated project a operation Home front to show support for . Troops serving in the Gulf Region. The group said it is paying for the gift packages through individual and corporate contributions. Each gift package contains items such As lip Balm toothbrushes toothpaste deodorant shampoo Boot aces skin lotion playing cards disposable razors sunscreen Eye drops letter writing materials and magazines. It also has a Christmas card that reads a dear american hero America is thinking of each and every one of you who Are sacrificing so much to guard our freedoms. I Hope this gift package helps make a Tough Mission a Rule easier for you. You arc in my thoughts and prayers for All that you mean to us Back Home in America. God bless a former National Security Council staff member North was convicted May 4, 1989, of three criminal charges stemming from his involvement in the Iran Contra scandal. However two of the convictions were suspended and one overturned july 20, 1990, by a 2-1 vote of the . Circuit court of appeals in Washington army names sergeant found dead in Shower Washington a amps a the name of the army sergeant found dead in a Shower stall in saudi Arabia has been released. Sgt. James Wilcher was found dead on nov. 8. He was assigned to the 118th Ord det 11th air defense arty brigade at fort Bliss Texas. The 25-year-old Crystal Springs miss., native repaired Vulcan air defense guns for the army. Wilcher is survived by his wife Carol and his parents Lanier w. Wilcher and Beatrice Wilcher. The cause of death is still under investigation. However officials said there was no indication the death was the result of foul play. / % f it a i Quot of it passing time a from . Ship saves Sailor afloat in Gulf London apr a Sailor who fell China London apr a Sailor who fell overboard from a British Navy mine sweeper on patrol in the Gulf said thursday he Wasny to afraid during the 21 hours he bobbed in the sea. Petty officer Chris Boorman 29, fell off the Catt Istock on monday and was rescued tuesday night by . Amphibious command ship Blue Ridge the ministry of defense said. Speaking to reporters at a Bahrain Hospital Boorman said he always knew he would be rescued As he a piece of Wood it alternatively treading water and floating on his Back describing the fall As a a Freak Accident Boorman said he was not afraid of being bitten by the poisonous sea snakes and Sharks that swim in the persian Gulf. Zon while h5c�u,? i 1 in the water and it was his goal to swim toward them. Cmdr. John scores who is leading the investigation into the incident said boor Man was very fit and had completed a sea survival course. He was not wearing a Lif jacket when he fell in. A it was a genuine Freak Accident and i was extremely Lucky that the Blue ring radar track came across him a scores said the Catt Istocki a chaplain Brian Wal ton said it was a one in a million Chanc that Boorman survived. A the enormity of what has happened to him has not yet sunk in but he is ver thankful to be alive a Walton told report ers
