Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, June 16, 1991

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - June 16, 1991, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 10 the stars and stripes sunday june 16, 1991 kuwaiti court sentences 6 journalists to death Kuwait apr Kuwait a martial Law court on saturday condemned six newspaper workers to death and sent 10 others to jail for ten years for their work on an iraqi run publication during the occupation. Eight employees of the Ai Nida newspaper were acquitted. The packed courtroom erupted in pandemonium when the verdicts and sentences were read with relatives dropping to the floor and crying hysterically. Six women defendants burst into tears and hugged each other even though one was condemned to death one acquitted and four Given 10-year sentences. Military police cocked their rifles and sub machine guns to separate the condemned from their families although 16 of the men had been put in a steel Cage along one Wall. The police pushed relatives out of free courtroom and Down the Hall with yells of a a let a go. Lets go.�?�. Before delivering the sentences judge Mohammed bin Naji quoted verses from the Koran the Muslim holy Book saying those found guilty of wrongdoing deserve to be punished. It a these people betrayed Kuwait at a time Kuwait needed their help a he said. In his 27-Page decision the judge said the newspaper was a a criminal project. And these people helped carry it  regarding those he sentenced to death bin Naji said a they even had meetings they wrote articles so these people Are base criminals. They arc beyond redemption and they should be a lesson for others. Mercy in this Case would be weakness. That would leave citizens without proper protection.�?�. Those acquitted included garbage collectors labourers and a few who had walked off their jobs after a Day or two. The five men and one woman condemned to death by hanging included Ahmed Fadi Al Husseini the lebanese editor in chief who fled the country before the feb. 26 liberation and is believed to be in Egypt. A source at the Justice ministry said Kuwait would seek his extradition. The prosecution said the 35-year-old kuwaiti woman condemned to death Ibtisam Al Duk Heil worked actively to recruit kuwaiti journalists for the newspaper telling them iraqi control Over the emirate was inevitable. The others condemned to death were Fawwaz Bassa sow a 35-year-old palestinian copy editor Ossama us Hail Hussain a 24-year-old jordanian who did layout for the paper Abdel Rahman Al Husseini a palestinian writer and Ahmed Abd Mostafa a palestinian journalist who said he was transferred from the ministry of information but never worked at the paper. Those sent to jail for 10 years included secretaries translators and copy boys. Kirch Gons Germany a the last artillery unit in the kuwaiti theater a the 3rd army dives 2nd in 3rd Field arty regt a returned to Germany this weekend. Buses earring 360 soldiers rolled onto Ayers Cavern about 10 . Saturday. The soldiers went to1 their units where families and friends were waiting with balloons yellow ribbons and All the trimmings to show How glad they were to have their soldiers Back. The battalions remaining 150 troops were to return today. A they its great to get Back Here to this German weather a sgt. Maj. Joseph Hawkins said. A a it a Nice to see Trees and  the returning troops Are members of a b and c Btry and portions of he and service Btry. The soldiers had been in Southwest Asia since dec. 18. A 3rd div spokesman said that during the ground War the battalion provided direct support to the 1st brigade a ready first combat team. It engaged the iraqi 52nd mechanized and Tawa Kalna divisions of the Republican guard. Following the fighting the soldiers worked with refugees helping establish a Camp. A kurdish Man says thanks and shakes hands with a . My in Dozhuk on Friday. The woman at right came to ask troops for food. Pullout from Page 1 concern about the future of the kurd. A a in a worry about the More Subtle things a he said a the Way they tighten the screws in this country things we can to  american officers expressed Little optimism that a United nations Security Force of 47, assigned to Dozhuk will deter human rights violations in the Long term. About 500 of the . Officers should have been in Iraq Over the weekend. However less than 100 have arrived a problem that . Officials blamed on funding. By saturday afternoon All of the 89 american British French and dutch forces who had occupied Dozhuk since May 24 were gone. They entered Dozhuk to help restore essential services to the City of 250,000 people one of the largest in Northern Iraq. Their presence also acted As a Magnet to kurd no fied to squalid refugee Camps in the mountains Between Turkey and Iraq after their failed rebellion against iraqi president Saddam Hussein in March. More than 180,000 kurd returned to Dozhuk since the allies first came to the City. Now it bustles boasting a Well stocked Bazaar and lucrative Trade in Black Market electrical goods. Naab said his one disappointment had been the failure of Western Aid workers to stay. Under an agreement with the iraqi military the 36 Aid workers who came to the City had permission to remain in Dozhuk for at least another month but after a june 2 riot during which four kurd and two iraqis were killed All but three French health experts left the town. A the heart of the thing was for the Aid workers to stay on and act As a Bridge be tween the allies and the .,�?� Naab said. A now there a no  the pullout makes Dozhuk the first City vacated by Allied troops during their occupation of Northern Iraq. Thousands of soldiers have withdrawn in past weeks mostly medical logistical and other non combat units. Allied troop strength in Northern Iraq and Southern Turkey has dropped 28 percent to 15,443 soldiers since its High on May 21. Of them 7,738 Are americans and 7,508 belong to other armies in the coalition according to . Army col. Bob Flocke a military spokesman. Hundreds of soldiers Are leaving Iraq every Day. On thursday Flocke said 300 soldiers left the Allied zone. On Friday hundreds of trucks carrying soldiers telecommunications equipment food and weapons rolled Over the Haber River Bridge into silo i  from Page 1 a said plans were being made for an evacuation but indicated that it would not be carried out immediately. A with All that gunk in the sky a done to think you can Fly in that a she said. A we done to want to do that in a panic Mode but in a slow and orderly  mount Pinatubo has been erupting for a week and each Day the explosions have become More severe. The eruptions have been blamed for at least six deaths. Saturday the Volcano triggered earthquakes in the capital and a huge fissure opened on one of its slopes. Ash fell As far As Manila the capital 60 Miles to the South. Southwestern Luzon Island was shaken by repeated Earth tremors. Manila a International and Domestic airports were closed until further notice because of volcanic Ash in the atmosphere. Air plane engines suck in the Ash and the debris can cause the engines to stall. Scientists predicted a catastrophic eruption and warned residents within 25 Miles to flee. A the situation is really dangerous a said Ronaldo Arboleda of the philippine Institute of volcanology and seismology. Ltd we do not want to cause panic but it is better to move out now than later a he said in a radio broadcast. A we Are not gods but based on our studies something hot Good is about to  Arboleda spid a fissure about 1.8 Miles Long had appeared on the Southern Side of the Volcano and that the Institute was extending the danger zone from 18 Miles to 25 Miles., ,. Seen by satellite the fissure extends Between two craters and has raised the possibility that the top of the Volcano might blow off Institute officials said. A Fortunato de Hora administrator of the office of civil defense said orders to evacuate the cities of san Fernando Angeles and Olon Gapo were issued saturday evening. De Hora said 250 trucks and commercial buses would be sent to the three cities which have a combined population of More than a half million. It was unclear however whether All residents must be evacuated. The Volcano Institute recommended those living within 25 Miles of mount Pinatubo leave and the three cities Are for the most part on the outer fringe of that zone. Arboleda urged residents of Olon Gapo to head South into the Bataan Peninsula and those in Angeles to head North and East. Prior to the evacuation order Olon Gapo mayor Richard Gordon advised the 200,000 residents of his City to stay put for the time being. A meanwhile Zambales province where the Volcano is located was rocked by at least four eruption related earthquakes saturday authorities said. The quakes measured 4 on the Richter scale. A temblor of this magnitude can cause moderate damage. There were no immediate reports of damage. Frequent explosions saturday shot debris from the Volcano More than 12 Miles High and Over a 60-mile radius. Ash fell Over Manila and adjacent Quezon City. Pumice stones the size of marbles showered Olon Gapo about 25 Miles Southwest of Pinatubo injuring about 30 people. A typhoon made matters worse. Its rain mixed with the Ash bursting from mount Pinatubo creating heavy muck that collapsed two bus terminals schools and numerous Homes in Central Luzon Island. Typhoon Zyunya quickly weakened to a tropical storm but its heavy rain threatened to trigger mud Down the Volcano As far As 25 Miles officials said. The office of civil defense said at least six people have died four were missing and More than 50 injured since Pinatubo began erupting last sunday after being dormant for six centuries. Own  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade