Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, January 12, 1989

You are currently viewing page 2 of: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, January 12, 1989

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - January 12, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 2 the stars and stripes thursday january 12,1989 news updated vigils for hostage London a friends and colleagues of journalist John Mccarthy marked his 1,000th Day in Captivity in Lebanon tuesday with vigils to remember him and urge the government to do More to help win the Freedom of All British hos tages. The 32-year-old television journalist was kidnapped april 17, 1986, while on his Way to Beirut International Airport in Lebanon s capital. Mccarthy had planned on leaving Lebanon because of the in creasing danger to foreigners. Vietnam refugees Hong Kong up the repatriation of boat people who have asked to return to Vietnam could Start by the end of this month a government official said wednesday. On the basis of current plan Ning we Hope that a Start on repatriations will be made toward the end of this month or in february Secretary for Security Geoffrey Barnes said. 80,000 documents stolen from Center German thinks by de Reavis staff writer at least 80,000 documents have been stolen from the  nazi document Center since the facility opened in Berlin in 1945, a German author believes. A former employee of the Center was sentenced to 28 months in prison Mon Day for his role in the theft and Sale of Center files Over a period of several years. Three West German Memorabilia Deal ers received suspended sentences and fines for their role in the ring which was accused of Selling As Many As 4,000 documents. Berlin newspaper reporter and author Heiner Meyer however believes thou Sands of other documents have disappeared Over the years mostly because of poor management by . Officials. Perhaps the key to the problem is that the americans have never appointed a professional archivist to run the Center and therefore have never had an exact idea of what they re sitting on Meyer told the stars and stripes. If you ask professionals or historians their opinions on How the Center works they almost break Down in  Anthony Sariti a spokesman for the . Mission in Berlin said wednesday that he could not deny Meyer s charges. However he said stricter Security Mea sures at the Center were initiated some time ago when we discovered document were being  Meyer s Book the Berlin document Center making Money off the past says the Center was founded with 65 tons of documents from the Reich Chancel Lery that were hidden in a German paper Mill and turned Over to the advancing . Army by the Mill s owner. The Cen Ter contains an additional 435 tons offices from the third Reich. Until today no one really knows just How Many documents Are in the Center. Experts guess there must be 30 million files with somewhere Between 100 and 150 million sheets of paper Meyer said. But none of the 25 directors Over the last 45 years has been Able to Structure the files in a professional  Meyer believes the most lucrative Deal possibly involving Center documents was the 1983 Sale of Hitler diaries forged by Memorabilia dealer Konrad Kujau and sold to the weekly news Magazine Stern. Kujau wrote the diaries himself but was Able to hoodwink experts because he Drew on previously unknown material about Hitler stored at the Center. During my research for the Book i could t find out if Kujau bought Materi Al from the Center himself or not but he certainly proved How much Money can be made from dealing with our recent past Meyer said. The West German government has been reluctant to run the Center because some of the stored material could Embar Rass postwar politicians and Public Fig ures Meyer said. Only in the past sever Al years has the German government showed willingness to take Over the  air Force to require direct Deposit of paychecks by Chuck Vinch Washington Bureau Washington the air Force soon will follow the army in making direct Deposit of paychecks mandatory for its military personnel service financial officials said. A Date for the switch is not firm but officials Are hoping to make  by april 1, an official with the air Force finance Center in Denver colo., said tuesday. The air Force also will make its civilian work Force use direct Deposit the official said but that May take longer to put into effect depending on negotiation with unions and the completion of a centralized civil Ian pay system. This won t be anything Earth shattering because most of our people Are using direct Deposit now the official said. As of november 1988, we had 551,012 military personnel and 525,192 95.3 percent were already using direct  among the civilian Force of 214,686, More than 86 percent or 186,023, were using direct Deposit at that time she said. The direct Deposit concept will be made mandatory for All new service members both officers and enlisted personnel. Current members also will be required Touse the direct Deposit system. They won t have to establish a checking account before entering the service or even during Basic train ing or initial schooling the official said. But they will have to have one by the time they report to their first regular duty  the army made direct Deposit mandatory for its Active duty personnel in october 1985, a spokesman for the service s finance Center said. The Navy has been testing various proposals involving the direct Deposit concept but there Are no current plans to make it mandatory for All Navy personnel a Navy finance spokesman said. About 44 percent of Navy military personnel us direct Deposit the spokesman said. Of plans 2nd Early separation program by Chuck Vinch Washington Bureau Washington for the second consecutive year the air Force plans to separate thousands of enlisted personnel Early in an Effort to save Money for it strapped manpower accounts. Overseas personnel will not be affected officials  s due to significant Dollar shortages in the military personnel account said an official with the air Force military personnel Center at Randolph fab Texas. This year s program scheduled to run from april through september will be considerably smaller in scope than last years the official said. In fiscal 1988, about 23,000 airmen were separated Early saving $ 159 million in personnel costs. This year s program will save $32 million by the Early separation of5,400 airmen the official said. Separating personnel Early is a relatively painless Way for the service to Cut costs because these Are people whore going to get out anyway the official said. Under the fiscal 1989 program first and second term airmen on assignments in the Continental United states who have separation dates Between april and september and who Are not eligible to re enlist regardless of their Job skills will separate in March the official said. First term airmen in the United states in certain Job skills with separation dates Between april and septem Ber will be asked to re enlist or separate in March the official said. Army and Navy personnel officials say they currently have no plans to launch their own Early separation programs this year. Both services have used such pro Grams in past years to hold Down personnel costs. Last year the army separated More than 30,000 soldiers up to three months Early saving More than a 0 million. Go could get death penalty if convicted bad Kreuz Nach West Germany an 8th inf div Soldier could receive the death penalty if convicted of either of two murder charges in the septem Ber stabbing of a 17-year-old turkish girl near Mainz division officials said wednesday. Spec. Emery l. Franklin Iii of Btry a 1st in 59th air defense arty in Mainz is charged with premeditated murder and murder in the course of an at tempted rape in the death of Melina Uzun Karanfil of Sinsheim near Mainz. The maximum penalty for either of the crimes is the death penalty. Franklin is accused of stabbing Uzun Karanfil More than 90 times a German police spokesman said. The 23-year-old Franklin was in Possession of a knife believed to be the murder weapon the police spokesman said. Uzun Karanfil was last seen sept. 29 in a Mainz disco where she had Contact with . Service members. No court martial Date has been set for Franklin who is being held at the army confinement facility i Mannheim West Germany. Memorial rites scheduled for Baum older teacher Baum older West Germany a me Morial service will be held at 4 . Tuesday for a 66-year-old Baum older High school science teacher who died of cancer saturday. John Horvath spent his 14-year career with the department of defense dependents schools at Baum older High where he taught seventh Grade science. He was an Active member of the overseas education association the National science teachers association and the German american Square dance association. Horvath was ill for a month and was admitted to a local German Hospital but died in his Home in Berlin a school spokesman said wednesday. Horvath a world War ii Veteran earned his Bachelor s degree from City College of new York in 1967 and his master s degree from new York University a year later. He taught Industrial arts in new York from 1970 to 1975 before joining the overseas school system. He is survived by his wife Sabine who re sides in Berlin. The service will be in Baum older s Chapel 1. Firm erects memorial to Wii forced labourers Stuttgart West Germany a Auto giant Daimler Benz on tuesday unveiled a sculpture at its Headquarters in memory of thousands of workers forced to toil at company plants during the Era of nazi domination. The Iron sculpture was commissioned to Bernhar Heiliger a Berlin sculptor. Daimler Benz officials announced last year that the company would pay $11 million in reparations for the use of forced labor under nazi dictator Adolf Hitler. Hundreds of thousands of people from countries occupied by the nazis during world War ii were forced to work under poor conditions to help fuel the German War Effort. Popular journalist in Italy Dies Rome up Peter Nichols the Best known for eign journalist in Italy died wednesday at 60. Television and news Agency reports said Nichols died of a stroke after a Long illness caused by cancer. Nichols was born in Portsmouth England in 1928 he was the Rome correspondent of the times of Lon Don from 1957 until he retired about a year ago to his Home at Bracciano 25 Miles North of Rome. He also was director of an English language mag Azine published in Italy called  Jie, several books the Best known of which Isth divisions of the   
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade