European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - January 12, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse Thursday january 12, 1989 the stars and stripes Page 9 performance right on the nose it required unbounded Faith and plenty of practice but Donna Maitland Smith had no doubt that her Dolphin pals would Rise to the occasion. Here Donna and friends introduce an act called rocket ride at Atlantis Marine Park in Perth Australia. The three had gone through the complicated routine for weeks to ensure a polished performance for the audience. Asylum seekers Rush to new destinations after Rule is blocked Brownsville Texas a Central american immigrants streamed out of Southern Texas on tuesday after a court order blocked policy that had kept those applying for Asylum from leaving the area and going to their . Destinations. Virginia Kice a spokeswoman for the immigration and naturalization service s Harlingen District said that there were Between 600 and 800 peo ple in line when we opened up shop to receive travel papers. The Asylum seeking immigrant were taking advantage of a three Day temporary restraining order issued monday by . District judge file Mon Vela that blocks an ins proce Dure that kept them from leaving the area. Before the Rule took effect dec. 16,the streams of refugees applying for Asylum in Harlingen were allowed Togo on to their destination and proceed with their cases there. The new procedure was implemented to expedite Asylum cases for those who have legitimate claims and the procedure was to serve As a deter rent for those applying for political Asylum when in fact they Are applying for economic reasons Kice said. Under the new procedure the Refu gees were interviewed in Harlingen and told they would receive a decision in 30 Days and could not travel out Side the Harlingen area. Last week the procedure was challenged in a lawsuit filed on behalf of six Central american refugees. In Wake of the ruling greyhound lines tripled its Normal Houston bound passenger loads tuesday on the morning and afternoon buses fro Brownsville and Harlingen a spokes Man said. . Rep. Solomon Ortiz of Texas said Asylum seekers who remain in Southern Texas will receive Federal humanitarian Relief possibly shelter while their cases Are decided. Ortiz a Democrat from Corpus Christi said what makes it a crisis is. This county does t have the Money or the infrastructure to provide the services. " Quayle names sex official As National Security aide Washington a vice presi Dent elect Dan Quayle said tuesday that his National Security adviser will be car nes lord a former Reagan White House aide and professor. Lord 44, has been director of International studies at the National Institute for Public policy in Fairfax va., since1985. He was a staff member of the National Security Council from 1981 to1984. The Virginia resident holds doctorates in government from Cornell University and classics from Yale. He has written several books including the presidency and the management of National before serving in the Reagan administration lord was a professor of govern ment and foreign affairs at the univer sity of Virginia and worked for the . Arms control and disarmament Agency. Funding for internment compensation called Low Washington a sponsors of Alaw to compensate japanese americans who were forced to live in internment amps during world War ii say it would take 60 years to make reparations under the budget proposed by president Reagan. Unless Congress appropriates the authorized maximum amount. Many of the eligible recipients May die before receiving their Token compensation sen. Spark Matsunaga a Hawaii said tues Day. Matsunaga and the other lawmaker who sponsored the 1988 Law said they would press the House and Senate budget committees to vastly increase the $20 Mil lion in the president s fiscal 1990 budget for the reparations. Up to $ 500 million can be appropriate Din any single year until $1.2 billion has been paid. No payments have been made under the Law which promises $20,000 each to an estimated 60,000 survivors of internment amps where americans of japanese ancestry were forced to live from 1942 to1946. Matsunaga called the Reagan proposal woefully inadequate and expressed Hope that the new Congress will be sympathetic to our he said some survivors Are in their 80sand 90s and have been waiting More than 40 years for the apology and Token compensation provided by the 1988 the Law requires that the oldest survivors be paid first. Officials at the office of management and budget had no immediate comment the sponsors said at Reagan s spending rate it would take 60 years to Complete the payments although the Law has a 10-Yeardeadline to Complete the payments. Rep. Norm Mineta d-calif., said that Only 1,000 individuals would be compensated under Reagan s first year spending proposal and asked Why has the presi Dent s vision narrowed now i ask president elect Bush How much longer must they wait " rep. Robert Matsui d-calif., said the Justice department is Well ahead of expected schedules in locating recipients. There is no reason to delay the process now. We Are talking about a majority of elderly citizens who May not be Here in fiver 10 years much less 60 the legislation provided apologies Aswell As the $20,000 tax free payments. More than 120,000 japanese american were sent to internment Camps because the government believed they were Security risks. The legislation also authorizes payments of up to $12,000 for surviving members of the aleut Indian tribes who were remove from the Aleutian islands during the Japa Nese attack on those islands in 1942. Mix up of 2 crash victims caskets corrected Rochester . A an error resulting in the caskets of two victims of last month s pan am jetliner bombing being shipped to the wrong cities was straightened out and the remains returned to the right families. The casket containing the body of 20-year-old Karen Hunt was flown from Boston and arrived at a Roches Ter funeral Home tuesday and the body of Mary , 25, of Wayland mass., was flown from Rochester to Boston. Johnson s relatives were an hour from burying the body they thought was hers sunday when Fri agents informed them of the error. The mistake was discovered last week when the medical examiner s office in Rochester concluded that the body sent to the Hunt family was no Karen Hunt. Karen Hunt s father Robert Hunt said the family planned a prayer service but would not Bury her until Spring when the ground thaws. We be got her body Back now said la never get Over this. But at least we can Start the Healing Gregory Jones an Fri spokesman in washing ton said authorities recovering bodies from the dec. 21 explosion Over Lockerbie Scotland apparently correctly identified the bodies of the two women but somehow flew the caskets to the wrong cities. We have no feelings at All of anger and bitter Ness about this Mary Johnson s father Robert Johnson said earlier this week. It s one of those simple mistakes that can be made. It seems terrible at the time but it s not a big when the body reported to be that of Karen Hunt arrived thursday in family was already concerned that it was not her because Scot Tish authorities description of the clothing did t seem to match Karen Hunt s clothes. The medical examiner confirmed their suspicions
