European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - May 13, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Sunday May 13, 1990 the stars and stripes a a a Page 7castro gives a certain documentation to lawyers for use in Noriega a defense Miami apr Fidel Castro has Lent a hand to Manuel Noriega in his drug trafficking Case the ousted panamanian leaders lawyers said Friday. The cuban president met with Noriega a defense team in March lawyer Frank Rubino said. Rubino added that he reveal what Castro told them due to the classified nature of the information. A Fidel Castro met with some of general Noriega a lawyers and discussed certain sensitive issues with us a Rubino told the Miami Herald. A the further provided us with certain Castro was quoted by a brazilian television reporter As saying his information will Clear Noriega. A i have even talked with Noriega a lawyers a Castro said. A if this is the evidence prosecutors have against Noriega then they have no evidence against him and 1 have All the proof which proves the falsehoods of the the cuban Leader did not say what kind of evidence he gave the lawyers but claimed a to have All the cards in my hands to irrefutably prove the according to a february 1988 indictment the cuban Leader mediated a dispute in 1984 Between Noriega and colombians Medellin drug Cartel. The dispute involved a raid on a drug lab the panamanian Leader had supposedly been paid to protect. Noriega is at the Federal metropolitan correctional Center outside Miami awaiting trial on charges he took Money from the Cartel to make his country a Safe Haven for cocaine smuggling. On Friday . District judge William Hoevler ordered prosecutors to explain Why the United states gave $5.8 million confiscated from Noriega to Panama a new government. Hoeveler said it appeared the . Government had failed to follow Normal Legal procedures before surrendering the Cash found at Noriega a quarters in Panama during the . Invasion in december. A although its not common to have $5 million or $6 million in ones bedroom. It appears the Money was his a the judge said. A that raises an interesting question about what right the government had to give it Hoeveler spoke during a hearing called by defense attorneys who have threatened to withdraw saying they Haven to been paid since Noriega was captured Jan. 4, two weeks after the invasion began. Prosecutors have seized $20 million in 27 Bank accounts around the world. The defense says Noriega must have earned at least some Money legally during his 25-year career As military officer and de Facto ruler of Panama. The lawyers told the judge they need some of that Money to represent Noreiga in the Complex expensive Case. Hoeveler has ordered prosecutors to show Why the Money be released to Noriega and his attorneys saying the government has an obligation to show Money was obtained illegally before freezing accounts. Hoeveler also questioned the defense Contention that Noriega had no information of his own about where his assets were saying he wanted the general to Tell him by the next hearing whether he has additional accounts. Defense attorney John May said Noreiga had not told them about any additional Money and added that he had no records with him in jail. Defense attorney Steven Kollin said prosecutors have Given the defense information on accounts in the United kingdom valued at about $ 10 million. Assistant . Attorney Michael Sullivan asked the judge to Block the defense from seeing any More details from the list saying some of the information could help the defense. Defense attorneys said they would accept a stripped Down list with just the account numbers and the Agency currently controlling them but the judge did not Rule on the Issue. Noriega had been scheduled to attend the hearing. But Rubino his Lead attorney was held up in another Case and the attorneys for both sides decided to proceed without them. The judge set a new hearing Date for May 21. And Sullivan said prosecutors would have More information about Noriega a sources of income by that time. The defense has subpoenaed records of the Cia the drug enforcement administration and other agencies seeking to show Noriega received about $11 million in payoffs from the . Government plus up to $7 million More from foreign on beggars begins in . Subways new York apr transit police Friday began a vigorous Campaign to rid trains and stations of beggars one Day after a Federal appeals court reaffirmed a ban on subway panhandling. A they told us about it at Roll Call a a no More panhandling a a an officer at the grand Central terminal subway Stop said. A the ruling makes it easier because its going to Back and the word seemed to have gotten out quickly a transit police officers in the subways said there were fewer panhandlers to move along than usual. An unscientific eyeballing through the system seemed to Bear that out although panhandlers have been fewer since october when the transit authority began its operation enforcement to rid the system of them. On thursday the 2nd . Circuit court of appeals ruled 2-1 that a ban on begging in the subway system is constitutional because panhandlers done to convey a social or political message. The decision reversed a lower court ruling that said the Agency a panhandling prohibition was unconstitutional because begging is a form of free speech protected by the first amendment. The appeals court ruling Means the Agency can ban begging on trains near subway stairways escalators and elevators and within 25 feet of Token Booths. Also the appeals court unanimously reinstated a ban on begging in terminals of the port authority of new York and new Jersey which the lower court also panhandler Robin Kirkman at the Entrance to Brooklyn subway station. Had ruled unconstitutional. Douglas Lasdon a spokesman for the Legal action Center for the homeless that brought the lawsuit said attorneys had not decided whether to Appeal. A my fear is that this decision gives them tremendous authority and discretion to harass homeless he said. A you can t decree an end to hunger and homeless Ness. You have to Deal with the fundamental sgt. Robert Valentino a transit police spokesman refuted that saying the ruling applied Only to panhandling and the Agency was not taking any additional Steps against the homeless. Valentino said Motorman conductors and Token Booth clerks were instructed to notify police if they see beggars. A they stand right Here and a Token Booth clerk at the 77th Street station of the it line said. The clerk said that 40 people usually beg at his station. A they need More cops to protect the station a he said. Glenda Silver seek a rider called the ruling a i find the beggars annoying Quot she said. A they give the City a bad appearance. To Tell you the Matthew a fancy 67. A resident of the Bellevue shelter who was begging at grand Central terminal shoved a reporter and said he had already been interviewed by three other reporters. A a you be stopped me from making a a Quarter a he said jangling change in a Coffee executes killer by lethal injection Potosi to. Apr convicted killer Winford Stokes was executed by lethal injection Friday night for wrangling and stabbing a woman to death 12 years ago. Both the . Supreme court and the 8th . Cir Uit court of appeals in St. Louis denied last ditch requests to Block the execution. Stokes 39, was pronounced dead at 9 39 . After reviving separate lethal doses of sodium pent Athol Pavlon my sodium Chloride at the Potosi correctional Center. He lifted his head to look at the in bag As the first chemical was being injected at 9 35 ., blinked his eyes rapidly and Lay Back on the Gummy. He had no last words and had asked for no personal witnesses. A Justice has been served. This regrettable event is in Cussary to reaffirm the value the state of Missouri it lacks on innocent human life a gov. John Ashcroft said in a prepared statement. Stokes was sentenced to death after being convicted of murder in the february 1978 strangling and stabbing of 33-year-old Pamela Benda of University City outside St. Louis. Authorities said Stokes who had escaped from a mental Hospital killed Benda after meeting her in a bar and going Home with her to have sex. He had also served time for the 1977 slaying of an elderly St. Louis woman and the fatal shooting of a St. Louis tavern owner in 1969. Stokes wife Evitte met with him for most of the afternoon but left the prison shortly after 6 ., a prison spokesman said. The full 8th . Circuit court of appeals had refused Friday morning to lift the stay blocking Stokes execution and attorney general William Webster promptly turned to the supreme court. Even while the stay was in effect prison officials had continued to prepare for the execution. A prison spokesman said Stokes ordered Catfish French Fries Cole Slaw and a two liter bottle of a cola drink for his second last meal in two Days. He had had his first last meal of sirloin Steak wild Rice and a cola drink on thursday. The supreme court issued its ruling lifting the stay about 7 15 . And Sindel promptly asked both the 8th circuit and the supreme court to Issue a second stay based on other arguments. Both courts refused. An opinion concurring in the decision was signed by Justice Anthony Kennedy. Chief Justice William Rehnquist and Justice Antonin Scalia. Stokes was the third convict in Missouri and the 125th nationally to be executed since the 1976 . Supreme court ruling allowing states to resume use of the death penalty
