European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - August 26, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Inside sunday and to plus magazines the stars and stripes authorized unofficial publication for the . Armed forces Liv pfc sunday August 26, 1990vol. 49, no. 134 25 daily and sunday d 8693 a iraqi troops poised outside american Allied embassies the Way Home an american Soldier in saudia Arabia telling his fellow Servic members just leans against a makeshift Road sin How far away from Home they Are. At u.n., soviets Back use of minimum Force by the associated press diplomats inside at least nine embassies in iraqi occupied Kuwait City played a tense waiting game saturday As a deadline to close their missions passed and iraqi troops stood by reportedly ready to Force them out. International officials met late into the night at the United nations meanwhile after the soviet Union removed its objection to a Resolution authorizing use of minimum Force to halt All shipping to and from Iraq. In another development iraqi president Saddam Hussein Friday detained a group of . Embassy staff and dependents after promising them Safe passage from Bagh dad. Related stories pages 2,3. The official iraqi news Agency said Friday Iraq would Only detain male embassy employees including diplomats of countries that refused to close their embassies in Kuwait City. But there was no indication dependents were being Al Lowed to leave. Troops were reported surrounding or patrolling near the american British Canadian French japanese norwegian swedish romanian and hungarian embassies. Nations complying with the embassy closing order included Venezuela the Philippines India and Lebanon about a dozen americans including . Ambassador Nathaniel Howell were in the american compound. About 100 . Diplomats and dependents who left the embassy thursday with sad dam s Promise of Safe passage were detained in the iraqi capital said officials in Washington accusing Saddam of reneging on his word. At the United nations in new York the soviet ambassador late Friday afternoon said his government would vote in favor of the .-sponsored Resolution thus Clearing the final obstacle to Security Council approval. The five permanent members of the Security Council France the United states China Britain and the soviet Union met informally Friday night to discuss the Resolution. The Security Council was expected to vote on the measure late Friday or Early saturday diplomatic sources said. Iraq has charged that keeping the embassies open in Kuwait would amount to an act of aggression by recognizing what Iraq now claims is its own territory. It said diplomats no longer would have diplomatic immunity raising fears they could be detained As hostages. White House spokesman Marlin Fitz water said at a briefing in Kennebunk port Maine that iraqi troops near the . Embassy in Kuwait City were apparently preventing employees from entering or leaving the compound but had not intruded in any the United states Canada Japan Switzerland Austria and the 12 euro Pean Community nations wore among nearly 20 countries that announced they would defy the order and remain in occupied Kuwait which has 60 foreign missions in Kuwait City. Britain said tanks surrounded its embassy and water and Power were Cut. Bjoern blokus a norwegian foreign ministry spokesman said his country s embassy was also surrounded. Seven iraqi soldiers were posted out Side the japanese embassy and told the two diplomats remaining inside that their diplomatic immunity had been revoked but made no attempt to remove them a japanese foreign ministry offi Cial said. Canadian external affairs depart ment spokesman Rejean Tessier said in Ottawa that about a do in soldiers ringed that country s embassy. There Are six canadians and 17 kuwaiti employees still working in the embassy. This is a violation of the most Funda mental Rule that governs conduct be tween nations who purport to be Civili de said prime minister Brian Mulroney demanding that Saddam Back off. The foreign ministry in Koine Saui three italian who left Kuwait continued on Backhoe reserves Call up starts for persian Gulf duty Washington a the military began calling the first of an estimated 46,700 Reserve members to Active duty Friday to assist in the . Military build up in the persian Gulf area. The Calls Are going out said air Force maj. Doug Hart a defense department spokesman at the Penta gon. Hart also disclosed that about 14.000 members of the army and air Force Reserve forces already Hae voluntarily gone on act e duty. Units in Mississippi Texas new York and Ala Bama were among those that received the Calls. About 150 members of the 183rd military Airlift so were ordered to report to the Mississippi air National guard base at Thompson Field in Rankin county by 11 . In san Antonio Kelly fab confirmed Friday that it is sending personnel supplies and fuel to the Middle fast As part of operation desert shield the . Response to the iraqi invasion of Kuwait. As air Force operations increase our operations also will intensify said maj. In. Richard i Smith commander of the san Antonio air Center at Kelly. An air National guard unit in new York stale , ordered to report Lor duty b Midnight i Ulav i lie 137lh military Airhill Isa unit of the Iosiph Milieu in be reserves on Back part
