Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Friday, November 23, 1990

You are currently viewing page 4 of: European Stars and Stripes Friday, November 23, 1990

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - November 23, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 4 a a the stars and stripes Friday november 23,1990bart�?Ts debut a a giant float of televisions bad boy Bart Simpson makes its first appearance during the 64th annual Macy a thanksgiving Day Parade. National guard brigades to be called up by army Washington apr National guard combat brigades from Georgia Louisiana and Mississippi will be put on Active duty in about a week for possible deployment to the persian Gulf the army said wednesday. They will be augmented to National guard combat units from Alabama South Carolina and Texas to create a combined fighting Force of about 15,100 soldiers the army said. Separately the air Force announced it was sending an unspecified number of ov-10 Low level observation aircraft to the arabian Peninsula for operation desert shield and the Navy ordered to Active duty 875 reservists from 13 states and the District of Columbia. The air Force ov-10 Plares which Are used to direct air and ground fire at enemy armoured vehicles Are deploying saturday from Davis Monthan fab Ariz. More than 77,000 reservists from All military services already have been called up for desert shield. It is the largest Reserve activation since the 1961 Berlin crisis. Included in the army statement was the first official mention that two Active divisions a the 4th inf div Mech of fort Carson colo., and the 5th inf div Mech of fort Polk., la. A May be sent to the Gulf As further reinforcements beyond the deployments already announced. Maj. Joseph Allred an army spokesman said deployment of the divisions from fort Carson and fort Polk was a an options now available but that no firm decision had been made on whether or when they would be used in desert shield. The National guard brigade from Mississippi will be assigned to the 4th inf div and the unit from Louisiana will be made part of the 5th inf div bringing both of those heavy units to full three brigade strength the army said. The army said the divisions with their National guard brigades could be used As additions to the forces now in saudi Arabia or As rotation forces to replace units that have been there since Early in the crisis which was sparked by iraqis aug. 2 invasion of Kuwait. The army announcement following two Days of official Pentagon confusion Over an activation Date for the three armoured brigades Means that the first army combat units of citizen soldiers could be digging in against iraqi troops by Early next year. No decision on sending them to saudi Arabia will be made however until after they undergo an unspecified period of desert warfare training in California. The decision will depend on their performance there officials have said. The men of the 48th inf brigade Mech of Georgia the 155th army brigade of Mississippi and the 256th inf brigade Mech of Louisiana will be sent to their regular mobilization stations a on or about nov. 30�?� said maj. Doug Hart a Pentagon spokesman. Thev in elude about 14,200 men. To increase the War fighting capabilities of the three brigades they will be augmented by an Armor unit of the 152nd army at Oneonta Ala. An Armor battalion of the 263rd army at Mullins s.c., and a mechanized infantry unit of the 141st inf at Mcallen Texas. Those three units will total about 900 men. Putting the National guard combat brigades on Active duty is especially significant in two ways. It takes the persian Gulf crisis beyond the Bounds of the professional army and brings it to the doorsteps of Ordinary citizens in dozens of communities. And that in turn adds a further dimension to the Bush administrations Challenge of winning Public support for possible action against Iraq. The defense department had alerted the guard combat units for possible activation last week and on monday the department said they were mobilized As part of a Broad Call up of combat and combat support National guard and Reserve members. But on tuesday the department reversed itself and said they had not been activated. In Macon ga., Headquarters for the 48th inf brigade Public affairs officer capt. Sue Ellen Reitz said the unit received word on tuesday that it Yould be activated on or about nov. 30. Reitz said her brigade comprised of about 5,000 men would go to fort Stewart ga., for a some weeks of individual and unit training in  operations As chemical warfare Protection and for weapons training and inoculations. Similar training will be carried out by the 155th of Mississippi at Camp Shelby miss., and the 256th of Louisiana at fort Polk la., before All three brigades undergo desert warfare training at the army a National training Center at fort Irwin Calif. Defense Secretary Dick Cheney said earlier this month that he wanted the National guard brigades to be evaluated at fort Irwin before deciding if they were adequately prepared for the Rigours of possible combat on the arabian Peninsula. Reitz said she did not know How Long the units would be at fort Irwin. A the amount of time we spend there will depend on the Progress of the brigade in demonstrating their ability to perform in desert conditions she said.2,000 gobble up return offer after threat Tucson Ariz. Up an Anonymous Telephone threat that thanksgiving turkeys had been injected with Poison prompted 2,000 customers to return their gobblers for either a refund or another Bird Market officials said thursday. Smiths food amp drug company pulled turkeys from the meat cases at its four Tucson stores wednesday evening after being notified by police of the Call made to a television station. The Salt Lake City based Chain also offered refunds or exchanges to customers who bought turkeys. A we do not have any reason to believe that we have any problems with our turkeys a said Barry Holinski who is in charge of the meat departments at the Smiths stores in Tucson. He said the Pima county Board of health approved of exchanging customers Birds for turkeys held in cold storage and not previously put out for the Public. Charlie Yamashita District manager for the Chain in Tucson said by noon thursday 2,000 Birds had been returned. Eighty percent of the customers accepted other turkeys rather than a refund. He said there was no indication any turkeys had been contaminated but the company wanted to do everything possible to keep the incident from spoiling the Holiday for customers. An unidentified Man telephoned Kold to at 6 45 . Wednesday and told news anchorwoman Barbara Grijalva that he a had a problem with Smiths. She asked him what the problem was and he said a a in be injected cyanide into some Smiths  a fall of them a she asked. A not All of them just some of them a he said. A Why a she asked. A to make a Point a he said. A a what a the Point a she asked. A a you la see a he said. He then wished her a Happy thanksgiving and promised to Call Back. He had not called again b Early thursday. The to station notified Tucson police and they sent officers to each of four Tuc son stores to inform them about the threat. Sgt. Roberto Villasenor said polic were investigating the threat. A a it a unfortunate because this could b a Crank Call but we Are not willing to be someone a life on it and neither i Smiths a Villasenor said. A i think that pretty  Villasenor said if a Turkey was tainted with cyanide cooking would not Neutral ize the deadly Poison. City s renaming of King Street causes Furoli Harrisburg. A. Pupil a Street Siens proclaim the vote to 40 main news Ayers in an Effort to opt a a  wanted Harrisburg a. Up a Street signs proclaiming the capital City a main East West thoroughfare Martin Luther King or. Boulevard have come Down. And signs bearing the name Market Street went up in their place last week the result of a nov. 6 citywide referendum. Also going up is a Call from a coalition of civil rights groups for a Boycott of the state capital similar to the action that has put economic pressure on Arizona for its vote against a King Holiday. The coalition views As racist the vote by City residents to dump the King designation in favor of the pre-1986 name. A we were All disappointed a said a coalition spokesman Rev. Jefferson Wright of the second Baptist Church of Harrisburg. A we will plan a new initiative to name a new Street. We Haven to decided which  last weekend the coalition sent information about the vote to 40 major newspapers in an Effort to get a Boycott started. The Model for the proposed Boycott was the National football leagues proposed cancellation of the 1993 super bowl in Phoenix because of the state vote against the King Holiday. A we think it should be known beyond the limits of the City a said Wright. A the same reaction that Arizona had to its vote should be applicable Here. Its almost the same  residents voted 56 percent to 43 percent in the nov. 6 referendum to return to the streets former name. One councilman noted that at least the City government Center still bears the name of the assassinated civil rights Leader. A a it a hard to be More visible than the government Center a said councilman Robert Hubbard or. A i know that is not adequate for the people who wanted Kin Boulevard i done to think you will see any Boycotts be cause the fact remains the government Center has Bee named for  there is also a move on the City Council to Renam the 90-acre Reservoir Park after King. Wright scorned those notions. He said City Hall is a place of horror for african americans because o americans history of official race segregation and adde that the Park is  no groups have cancelled yet for the state farm Sho Arena or at Harrisburg Hilton and towers the City largest Arena and convention centers. The election showed that predominantly Black neighbourhoods flanking King Boulevard voted to retain in King name by a Shin margin. White neighbourhoods voted overwhelmingly for Marke  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade