European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - April 28, 1991, Darmstadt, Hesse Army questionnaire for Stuttgart workers agitates germans sunday april 28, 1991 the stars and stripes b Page 9 by Joseph Owen Stuttgart Bureau Stuttgart Germany a the Stuttgart military Community a German works Council is urging local workers not to fill out the paperwork the . Army is using to determine the order of planned layoffs Here. \ a a a a a a a a a a a a ,. An april 5 Community letter accompanying the disputed paperwork says a reduction in Force or if is needed because of an army decision to Transfer base operation functions from vi1 corps Headquarters in Stuttgart to the Headquarters of the . Army in Europe. A this if May Impact on All organizations whose employees Are represented by the Stuttgart local works Council including your employing organization a the letter stated. The paperwork includes a personal data Sheet each employee is asked to verify by signing and a voluntary questionnaire seeking other information. The questionnaire is similar to those distributed in Many other army communities including bad Kreuz Nach where the works Council tried unsuccessfully to get a German labor court to Block it. The strife has surfaced at a time when the . Forces and two labor unions still have failed to approve a labor contract that would determine compensation for Laid off workers. The unions and the German finance ministry which bargains with the unions on behalf of All nato forces broke off talks on March 6 the Stuttgart Community distributed about 950 sets of the paperwork and employees still Are completing and returning them Community spokesman George Huettig said. The letter said employees should submit the forms by april 17. The Community will base the retention status of non compliant workers solely on data in their official personnel records it said. In a bulletin to its members the works Council advised workers to hand in the questionnaire Blank and warned that they might give up some employment rights if they sign the personal data Sheet. The bulletin said a we declare that the a questionnaire for the determination of Layoff Protection factors a which already has been handed out was com posed and published arbitrarily by the employer against our legally guaranteed right of it said the Council had demanded that Deputy Community commander col. Michael l. Wright retract it. The works Council does no to dispute that the Community will be forced to release some of the 1,650 German Tariff workers said Council representative Franz Josef Ritter. He said Wright told him informally last week that the number of layoffs probably would be 150 to 200. But some Survey questions Are inappropriate such As one inquiring about the number of children an employee has by previous marriages Ritter charged. A the Way i see it that a none of the employers business a Ritter said. Usa eur regulation 690-84 requires management before a pending Layoff to get information from local workers that is unavailable in personnel files. The regulation lists no specific questions but the information must include social factors such As obligations to support dependents and disabilities of family members. Without such data management cannot meet the Legal requirement to establish a Correct social retention Register of local National employees Usa eur Headquarters said in a written response to questions on the subject. The Stuttgart Community does not plan to retract the questionnaire. A it is in the interest of the employee to get them Back soon a Huettig said. The questionnaire conforms with current labor contracts and the army is not required to consult with the Council before issuing such a Survey he said. A i think that a backed up by the bad Kreuz reach the bad Kreuz Nach works Council plans to Appeal the court decision Council representative Rolf Schneider said. The bad Kreuz Nach Community administered the Survey to establish a social retention Register for German Tariff employees of the civilian personnel office the functions of which Are being absorbed by its counterpart in Baum older Usa eur said. It also has been used in other out a amps Jim Der aim members of co a79th combat engr in from Karlsruhe Germany Load equipment onto rail cars at the Nathan Lolale depot in Darmstadt Friday for transport to Turkey. The machinery will be used to build airstrips roads and to construct communities for some 700,000 kurdish refugees in Northern minister expects military cutbacks Ottawa up a Canadas new defense minister said there May be further reductions in troops and funding but refused to confirm a report that up to 25 percent of personnel will and thousands of soldiers brought Home from Europe. Marcel Masse said the world has profoundly changed and the department is examining new priorities and strategies. Masse s appointment to the defense Post a week ago outraged the military who said the former minister of culture had no knowledge or interest in military matters. Masse confirmed that cuts Are Likely now that the Warsaw pact has disbanded and soviet troops Are withdrawing from Central Europe. He said the department submitted proposed cuts to the conservative Cabinet two weeks ago but they were rejected. A second proposal will be submitted in two weeks he the vice chief of the National defense staff abruptly resigned complaining that the proposed cuts would jeopardize Canadas maritime strategy. Vice adm. Charles Thomas who was due to retire May 31, said he was resigning to draw attention to the governments Lack of defense policy and proposals to Cut planned programs. Specifically Thomas indicated the government is abandoning plans to build 12 patrol frigates a the first is undergoing sea trials and a seventh has just begun construction a and would instead build much smaller corvettes suitable for patrolling Canadas coastline. A i will not support proposals that will Lead our sailors and maritime air people into danger and harms Way without their having the tools to do the jobs that will be asked of them a Thomas police arrest suspect in murder of . Airmen Angeles Philippines up lawmen arrested a suspected communist guerrilla Leader who they said had ordered the killing of two american servicemen outside the .-run Clark air base last year police said saturday. Police identified the rebel As Ludovico Paras who was arrested Friday night along with an aide inside the Mayflower subdivision in Angeles City adjacent to Clark 50 Miles North of Manila. Capt. George Gaddi chief of the police special reaction unit said Paras is the head of the communist new Peoples army operating in towns near the base including Angeles Mexico Matalang and Mabala cat. Gaddi said it was Paras who ordered the killing on May 13, 1990, of airmen John h. Raven 21, and James c. Green 22, outside Clark on the eve of the first round of negotiations on the future of . Military bases in the Philippines. Gaddi said the killing of the two americans was planned by the spa National leadership and Paras command was ordered to execute it. The spa has demanded the dismantling of the facilities whose lease expires in september. Gaddi said Paras also was the former head of the Mariano Garcia brigade the communist death squad operating in an Geles. Paras brother Emerito however denied he was a rebel Leader and that he had a hand in the killing of the americans. He said his brother Only was a guerrilla Gaddi said Paras accompanied by an aide was visiting his family at 10 . When the police captured him. Seized from Paras were a pistol and a revolver he added
