Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Friday, March 28, 1986

You are currently viewing page 5 of: European Stars and Stripes Friday, March 28, 1986

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 28, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Friday March 28, 1986 stars and stripes Page 5 challenger must be replaced Senate told 3-Orbifer sleet not enough Aldridge says Washington a the air Force s top space official said wednesday that the loss of the shuttle Chal Lenger created an emergency that cannot be cured merely by shifting military satellites to throwaway rockets. Edward c. Aldridge or. Told a joint hearing by two Senate subcommittees that the air Force strongly sup ports not Only additional expendable launch vehicles Elvis but also the replacement of the challenger. Even with additional Elvis it is not Clear that the current three orbiter Fleet can meet the demands of both Nasa and Dod said Aldridge the undersecretary of the air Force. It s a National  the National aeronautics and space administration which once fought to prevent the air Force from getting throwaway rockets that might divert military payloads from the shuttle endorsed them wednesday. The right thing for us to do is to have a balance be tween shuttle capabilities and Ely capabilities said Richard truly a Navy rear Admiral and former shuttle astronaut who was appointed As Nasa s shuttle chief after the Jan. 28 challenger explosion. Truly said As he has before that Nasa expects at least a year s downtime before any shuttle flies again. When the flights resume Aldridge said the Pentagon will exercise its bumping rights to reduce a backlog of 10 military payloads that will have accumulated by then. If the downtime is two years there will be 21 backed up military payloads Aldridge said. Civilian and commercial payloads will suffer he testified. We have no alternative the first few  but truly said some commercial and scientific payloads will be launched during the first 18 months of resumed shuttle flights. One major reason is that Columbia cannot lift the heaviest military payloads leaving Only two shuttles available for Many military missions. If one of those were Down the capacity to Fly defense department payloads would suffer and we would be in world of Hurt Aldridge said. Sen. Jake Garnr Utah who As chairman of the sub committee that oversees Nasa spending flew on the shuttle last year had opposed the air Force request last year for its own expendable rockets to launch satellites. On wednesday he apologized to Aldridge i think it s fair to say that you were right and i was wrong. I m glad you held me to the  despite Garn s opposition Congress approved building 10 Titan 34d-7 rockets which the air Force plans to launch at the rate of two a year beginning in 1988. Aldridge said he wants More of the Titan 34d-7s administration sources who declined to be identified have said that Congress might be asked to double the number at an extra Cost of $2.5 billion. The air Force undersecretary also endorsed expansion of a program under which 13 obsolete Titan ii intercontinental ballistic missiles Are being removed from silos and modified to launch satellites. He also suggested that pro Grams to build smaller Delta and Atlas Centaur rockets be continued. Garn criticized the Reagan administration s delay in forwarding its budget plan for dealing with the loss of the challenger. Administration sources have said that an in Ter Agency task Force which has been studying the prob Lem is stalled Over Money issues. A new shuttle would Cost $2.8 billion and take 3 /2 years to build and prepare for launch. Garn said it s obvious to him that a challenger replace ment must be built and he can t understand the delay by Green Eye Shade types in the office of management and budget who know nothing about  sen. Ted Stevens a Alaska questioned Aldridge on Why Vandenberg fab calif., being prepared to become a West coast shuttle launch site should not be mothballed until launches resume to save Money to help pay for the rockets and the new shuttle. Aldridge replied we be looked at the  but he added we see no military  . A Vest gang nazi charges against Waldheim Washington up the Justice department is investigating whether former . Secretary general Kurt Waldheim should be barred from the United states for allegedly taking part in nazi atrocities Dur ing world War ii an official said. Neal Sher head of the Justice depart ment s nazi Hunting office of special investigations said he has opened the investigation of Waldheim because of charges the former head of the . Brutally interrogated and massacred innocent civilians while a senior nazi intelligence officer. The accusations against Waldheim who is running for president of Austria were made tuesday by the world jewish con Gress in new York. The group said the charges Are based on documents it found in the National archives in Washington including captured German military records. Sher said he asked the group for Access to any documents it has compiled. We re going to look at it he said. In Vienna wednesday Waldheim repeated he never was involved in War crimes during his military service in world War ii. However a Belgrade newspaper published a photocopy of what it said was a 1947 Yugo slav government document showing Wald Heim was a War criminal. The Vienna daily Kurrier also published a Story with details from the documents taken out of Waldheim s Dos sier in the yugoslav archives. Waldheim who served As head of the . From 1972-1981, maintains he was a German italian interpreter with German forces in Yugoslavia and not involved in,._. A photo Elan Steinberg a spokesman for the world jewish Congress releases documents that reportedly prove Kurt Waldheim was a nazi War criminal. Other wac officials at the press conference included from left Eli Rosenbaum Israel Singer and professor Robert Herzstein. Vandals demolition Derby prompts scratch and Dent Sale any War crimes. The group said the documents written in German show Waldheim joined the staff of the High command of the twelfth German army in March 1942, at the Start of a major offensive against yugoslav partisans. Eli Rosenbaum general counsel of the world jewish Congress and a former jus Tice department prosecutor of nazi War criminals said the documents would end the Idle speculation on Waldheim s Rolein world War ii. The group offered the Justice depart ment Access to their documents in a letter tuesday to attorney general Edwin Meese. The letter also asked that Waldheim be placed As soon As possible on the watch list of the . Immigration and naturalization service As an alien excl Dable from enter ing the United states on the basis of his participation in acts of nazi sponsored  reportedly interrogated prisoners a 1978 amendment to . Immigration Law bars All people who ordered incited assisted or otherwise participated in such acts under the nazis Between 1933 and1945. The group claims Waldheim Rose through the ranks to become a senior intelligence officer responsible for interrogations that probably led to executions. The documents also indicate Waldheim took part in the brutal operation Black in 1943, under commanding officers termed War criminals by the yugoslav state com Mission on War crimes in 1946. Sands of time egg Harbor township . A a car Dealership is promising to spare customers the trauma of the first scratch on their new cars after vandals driving a stolen police car used its parking lot to play demolition Derby. Bradford Buick Gumc is advertising savings like never before at its scratch and Dent Sale this week. Do you know How people Are always worried about getting the first scratch on their new cars Bob Nichols the dealer ship s vice president said tuesday. Well we re saving them the aggravation of the first  the Dealership placed an and in the Sun Day press of Atlantic City that pictured two cars bumping fenders and the word  the advertisement explained that some one played demolition Derby in our lot referring to the Way police described the vandalism in the Early morning hours of March 16. A new $12,000 patrol car stolen from outside police department Headquarters in nearby Linwood was used to ram 40 cars and trucks in the Dealership s parking lot before it was set ablaze and left across the Street. No arrests have been made and police Are still investigating. Most of the damaged vehicles had scratched and dented bumpers and broken Tail lights. About 10 vehicles that were More seriously damaged Are not included in the Sale Nichols said. In the stars and stripes 40 years ago today. Is 1946 the possibility of a deadlock Between the United states and Russia Over the . Hearing for Iran was reported in new York. Iranian Leader Hussein Ala claims the red army has overstayed its postwar occupation. The soviets say they Are abiding by a Mutual agreement with the Tehran government for the withdrawal Offe Rees. 30 years ago today. March 28, 1956 thousands of churches and synagogues throughout the country will cooperate in Observance of the National deliverance Day of prayer for 90 Blacks who were arrested in Montgomery Ala. 20 years ago today. March 28, 1966 in Paris the Rev. Martin Luther King or. Warned that bloody violence May erupt across the United states unless the condition of Black people is improved. To years ago today. U8 1976 9ie a Tase the explosive romanian International Tennis Star walked off the court cursed an official and was disqualified from the Palm Springs Tennis tournament. P b  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade