European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 28, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 8 the stars and stripes Friday March 28, 1986 striking filipinos bar americans from 2 bases Clark a Philippines a strik ing filipino employees of two . Military installations thursday stepped up their 6 Day old walkout Over Severance pay by pre venting any american personnel from entering either facility. Pickets had closed entrances to the Subic Bay naval base since the beginning of the walkout but entrances to Clark a were not blocked until late wednesday authorities said. Previously . Personnel but not Filipi nos had been allowed in and out of Clark. A strike Leader who spoke on condition he not be identified said the move was aimed at completely paralysing the key . Facilities. But base officials said Mili tary operations were not affected by the strike. The Manila times thursday reported some Rock throwing incidents wednesday when soldiers escorted personnel onto Subic base. The report did not say whether the soldiers were filipinos or americans or whether there were any injuries. No other violent incidents have been re ported since the strike by 22,000 workers began last weekend. Staff sgt. James schism 32, of Denver said he was prevented from getting into Clark a at noon thursday even after he told strikers he had to catch a flight arranged by the american red Cross to visit his seriously ill Mother. Rear adm. Edwin Kohn the highest ranking . Officer at the bases said . Officials would Start negotiations Over work ers demands Only after Gates Are allowed to remain open at All . Facilities in the Philippines. We Are More than willing to Start negotiating the issues that caused the strike after we get Assurance that our people can enter and exit All the bases said Kohn in a statement broadcast Over . Armed forces radio and television facilities. Kohn and other . Officials met with philippine labor ministry officials and striking workers on wednesday. He said the . Panel stressed that the facilities Are not like a factory. They Are our Homes our form of Liveli Hood our hospitals and our schools said Kohn adding that the agreement allowing . Bases in the Philippines requires that americans have Complete Freedom to leave and enter the bases. Kohn said he also was concerned about the Impact the strike was having on the More than 20,000 non Union employees most of whom also have been unable to work. No talks were scheduled during the four Day easter holidays. The hinged fuselage of an Airbus industries super Guppy appears about to Swallow up the first completed rear Section of the new Airbus 320 in Hamburg. The Tail Section was to be flown to Toulouse France for plane inside a plane a photo the next step in the construction of the newest Airbus Model. The Airbus 320, designed to carry up to 150 passengers is intended for use by airlines on Short Nadmi length routes. First cruise missile unit in Germany operational in few Days official says Bonn a the first group of a total of 96 nuclear tipped cruise missiles to be deployed in Germany will be installed and operational within the next few Days a de sense ministry spokesman said thursday. We confirm that at the end of the month the first unit will be operational spokesman Horst Prayon said. De tails will not be he refused to say How Many missiles will be in the unit or whether All or parts of the nato missiles were already at the deployment site at Hasselbach about 90 Miles West of Frankfurt. But Prayon implied some work will be done within the next few Days. Monday is the last Day of March. End of the month is end of the month. The americans work on saturday too. The next few Days Are still March Prayon said. German defense minister Manfred Woerner told the Bonn parliament on Jan. 16 that All 96 of the cruise missiles to be deployed in Germany will be stationed at the site near the town of Hasselbach in the wooded area known As the huns Rueck by the end of 1987. He said preparatory work had begun at the site. Anti missile protesters including a protestant pastor from the Hasselbach area Rev. Karl August Dahl have said some missile parts have been seen by american and German workers at nearby Hahn a Germany. But the protesters do not believe the parts have been moved to the deployment site which was formerly a .army base. Some local missile opponents Are keeping a round the clock watch from a House across the Road from the site. They plan protests when the missiles arrive. . Officials have refused to comment on when the deployment is expected to Start saying it is up to the Bonn government to announce it if the government wishes to dose. The missile opponents watching the site have said they expect 16 missiles to be in the first group to be deployed because workers have been seen building six separate Bun kers for the 96 missiles. Only one of the bunkers appears to be finished. Hasselbach mayor Hartmut Pomrehn who also opposes the deployments told the a that construction work has been going on at the deployment site for Over a year and is expected to be completed at the end of this year. The missiles May be just in time for the traditional easter peace marches held every year in Germany. Protesters have targeted Hasselbach As the site of one of scores of demonstrations planned for Over the weekend. They plan to March or Cycle to Hasselbach and arrive there monday morning. In 1983, an estimated one million people took to the streets in Germany to protest the planned nato deploy ments of 108 Pershing 2 missiles and 96 cruise missiles. All of the Pershing have already been deployed the de sense ministry confirmed earlier this year. The nato missile deployments were in response to the soviet buildup of ss-20 missiles targeted at Western Europe. Britain Italy and Belgium have also deployed cruise missiles and the Netherlands Are expected to Start with deployments in 1988. World today East German dissidents Send human rights Appeal to leaders Berlin a a group of East German dissidents has sent an Appeal to communist authorities calling for More travel freedoms and respect for human rights. The eight activists based in Weimar said the human rights Appeal was sent to the country s communist party leadership. In an open letter made available to Western correspondents the Weimar group urged the communist party to publish the Appeal because it was important for other East germans to become aware of its contents. The Appeal signed by four human rights activists called on communist authorities to relax travel restrictions and give citizens a Chance to voice their opinions More openly. It also asked for better compliance with human rights standards by the government. The Appeal was made in connection with the United nations year of peace said the dissidents. The Weimar group said that by revealing its letter it wanted to show its Trust in the East German leadership. Woman Dies after giving birth to apparently healthy Sext plets Munich up a 25-year-old German woman died a few hours after giving birth to Sext plets a Munich Hospital announced. Josef Zander director of the women s clinic of Munich University Hospital said the Newborn babies three girls and three boys appeared to be healthy but that the Mother had succumbed to a lung embolism. It was Only the fourth time since 1965 that Sext plets were born in Germany. The name of the Mother was kept confidential at the family s request. The pregnancy had been without complications and doctors had prepared for a multiple birth which they had intended to induce. They were surprised when the birth began spontaneously and they then proceeded with a cae Sarean Section after the first baby was born naturally. The Hospital said the Mother was Alert after the opera Tion and inquired about her babies but that she went into Shock an hour later and her condition worsened steadily. She died during the evening in intensive care the Hospital said. The babies were taken in red Cross ambulances after the birth to three different local hospitals that were pre pared to provide them with intensive care. Doctors said it was too Early to Tell whether All of them would survive. Franz Neubauer bavarian state social minister offered state assistance to the father a 27-year-old locomotive Engineer who was also left with one other child from the marriage. About 20 die when French Jet crashes into school in Africa Paris up a French Jaguar Jet fighter in the Central african Republic crashed into a school just after Takeoff thursday killing about 20 people and injuring the Pilot news reports said. The French defense ministry confirmed the Jaguar went Down near Bangui the capital of the Central african Republic. They said the plane had technical problems on Takeoff. V officials in Bangui said the Jet crashed into a school in a heavily populated area three Miles from the Center of Bangui on the Zaire Border. They said 20 Central Afri cans were killed but did not specify if they were schoolchildren. The Pilot Michel Etcheberry 31, ejected from the plane and was injured they said. The French Jet was among four jaguars and four Mirage jets stationed in the Central african Republic to backup French forces in Chad
