Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, February 2, 1989

You are currently viewing page 2 of: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, February 2, 1989

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - February 2, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 2 the stars and stripes thursday february 2, 1989 news updates transplant recipient Pittsburgh a the youngest person in the country to undergo a rare double lung trans Plant was discharged from the hos Pital tuesday. Shellyan Schaefer Pearson 14, of Tacoma wash., received a new set of lungs on Jan. 9 at children s Hospital of Pittsburgh. She suffered from a lung malformation that prevented her blood from being properly oxygenated. Shellyan and her parents Darlien and Kris Pearson will remain in the Pittsburgh area for six to eight weeks. The girl s surgeon Hartley Griffith will see Shellyan three times a week and she will undergo tests to Monitor her Progress. Intifada up coming Paris up the first re Cord album about the Intifada the palestinian uprising in the israeli occupied territories will go on Sale this month in Paris record store operators said wednesday. Music of Intifada is a collection of 14 songs that have been Sung by the palestinian Stone throwers during their nearly 14 month old uprising in the occupied West Bank and Gaza strip its producers said. The album featuring the songs the palestinian pledge in the name of Freedom and my Homeland is not a suitcase was recorded in arabic and produced by Marcus May and Khalil Moha mad Shaheen for London based Virgin records. Refugees detained Miami a More than 180 haitian refugees crammed aboard a Sailboat were detained monday after being intercepted eight Miles off Miami authorities said. The group reportedly included two pregnant women and a child said spokesman Gary Starks. A tugboat spotted the Wood hulled vessel about 2 30 ., and the coast guard immediately Dis patched a patrol boat to meet it Starks said. It was not known How Large the Sailboat was or the condition of the haitians aboard. The boats Are usually. Hand made and ramshackle. The vessel was Al Lowed to continue toward Shore and immigration officials were to interview the people aboard while the Board remained in International water Starks said. Dali s estate Madrid Spain a Salva Dor Dali left his entire estate to the Spanish state the ministry of Cul Ture said in a note wednesday. The note said the ministry had been informed by notary Public Jose Maria Fontillas Casaus that the third clause of a will dictated to him by Dali in september 1982 named the Spanish state As the Painter s sole heir. Dali died Jan. 23 in his Home town of Figueras in northeastern Spain at the age of 84 of heart fail ure. He was buried in his theater museum there. Reports published prior to the Painter s death indicated his estate was Worth some 10 billion pesetas $87.7 million but the ministry statement did not mention its value. Some of the Painter s old associates including his chauffeur and Valet of 40 years expressed sur prise he had not been buried in Publ Castle alongside his wife gala who died in 1982. Dali is survived by his sister Ana Maria 80, from whom he had been estranged for Many years. Certain Challenge damages total $28.8 million in claims by Joseph Owen Stuttgart Bureau exercise certain Challenge the big Gest Allied military Man Euver since world War ii left at least $28.8 million Worth of damage claims in its Wake after the exercise in Southern West Germany ended sept. 22. That total reflects most of the Maneu ver related Road destruction and topsoil disturbances reported to six branches of West Germany s defense costs office in the states of Bavaria and Baden Wirt Temberg where the two week Man Euver took place. It also includes costs stemming from 1,256 traffic accidents involving military vehicles participating in the Man Euver. The accidents caused at least 159 injury claims and five deaths. About 125,000 troops participated in the exercise a part of nato s annual autumn forge series. More than four fifths of them were americans the rest were West germans canadians French and Danes. Bavaria s Middle Franconia Region the focal Point of the Man Euver absorbed More than half of the damages. According to the defense costs office Branch in a Firnberg claims in the Region total about $18 million. Branch director Rolf Bock said most claims Are still unresolved however so the monetary total May vary As much As 10 percent by the time the claims Are settled. Bock said the 13,300 claims in his District include 1,100 reports of damaged Stone Boundary markers which Are expensive to replace because of the labor involved in new Boundary surveys. He declined to characterize the dam Ages in relation to previous military exercises held in the Nurnberg area. One can t make comparisons easily Bock said. It was the biggest Man Euver we Ever had in our  damage claims in upper and lower Franconia totalled More than $6.8 Mil lion according to the Wurzburg Branch office. Man Euver damage claims chief Horst Ruttiger said his office received far More claims relating to agricultural land than to Public roads but the Road damages will Cost More to fix. The pasture damages Are settled for the most part Ruttiger said. Of the three defense costs office branches in Baden Wurttemberge handling certain Challenge claims the Heilbronn Branch is dealing with the most damage about $3.5 million Worth. As the Host country for the exercise West Germany is responsible for paying 25 percent of the damage costs while the nations that participated including West Germany pay the remaining 75 percent. Officials emphasized that the damage figures Are Only rough estimates. While property owners have three months to report Man Euver damage to authorities the three month period starts when the damage is discovered so a Small number of additional claims May be filed. Nato chief credits Western strength with spurring Warsaw pact troop cuts by David Tarrant staff writer seeking to Blunt the Impact of re cent Well publicized Warsaw pact announcements on unilateral troop cuts in Eastern Europe the Secretary Gener Al of the Atlantic Alliance said wednes Day that the moves were prompted by the strength and Unity of the West. In a speech to the world economic forum in Davos Switzerland nato Secretary general Manfred Worner rejected the idea that soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev had seized the diplomatic initiative in improving East West relations. I passionately disagree with those who say that or. Gorbachev has the initiative Worner said. They con fuse Day to Day politics with Long term strategy and the soviets proposal of the week firework display with True conceptual leadership. The latter lies with nato in spite of All the voices of doubt and it will remain with  copies of Worner s speech were re leased to the press Early wednesday. In recent weeks a series of announcements issued by the soviet Union and several other Warsaw pact nations have spelled out timetables for unilaterally reducing troops and paring military budgets in addition Eduard a. Shevardnadze the soviet foreign minister said Battlefield nuclear weapons belonging to the departing front line units also would be removed. The announcements have worried some european and . Officials who believe the Well timed soviet Blitz is aimed at shaping european Public opinion before upcoming East West talks on reducing conventional arms. Worner s remarks suggested that the soviets Are finally turning to the  our political approach of cooperation instead of confrontation. Is gaining increasing acceptance he said. Our ideas Are on the Advance. Thus it is not we who need to modernize our  nato s goal for conventional arms control is to reduce military forces in Europe to the Point where those forces can be used Only for self defense he said. Currently the Warsaw pact s military forces Are concentrated in such a Way that we cannot but doubt their strategic intention and their role in maintaining the division of Europe he said. But Worner also said the soviet announcements of reductions had Given the Alliance Hope that in announcing those reductions the soviet Union genuinely desires to improve East West relations and sees its initiative As a first step in renouncing an offensive Force  German jailed after shots fired at maps by John Millar Wurzburg Bureau Wertheim West Germany a West German Man who had been Dis missed As a Peden Barracks Gate guard allegedly fired a pistol at . Soldiers tuesday night a Wurzburg military Community spokeswoman said wednes Day. A military policeman received a minor Cut when the Man had to be sub Dued after pulling a knife and holding it to his own Throat Leslie Tucker said. The 21-year-old former employee of the 4075th civilian service group was in custody of German police in Tauber Bischofsheim. Tucker said the Man approached two soldiers about 9  At the main Gate of Peden Barracks in Wertheim pulled out a pistol and fired a shot into the ground. Responding to the shot and an alarm from the Gate an armed military police Quick reaction Force took up defensive positions and ordered the Man to throw Down his weapon and put up his hands. The Man put the barrel of the weapon in his Mouth Tucker said but then re moved the gun backed up about 15 feet and fired two shots in the direction of the maps. As West German police arrived the Man fled across a Road in front of the installation and was apprehended by the germans. The Man apparently tried to get rid of the pistol during the Chase Tucker said and later volunteered to take the authorities to it. Accompanied by both military and civilian police the Man went to the weapon then pulled a knife and held it to his own Throat she said. German authorities said the Man was under the influence of alcohol at the Tim of the incident. 2 soldiers arrested in murder of woman bad Kreuz Nach West Germany is two 8th inf Day soldiers have been arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted rape in the Jan. 15 slaying of a brazilian woman a bad Kreuz Nach Legal official said wednesday. The two men assigned to he Btry 6th in 29th Field arty at Strassburg Cavern in Idar Oberstein West Germany Are being held after one of them confessed to killing 41-year-old Edith Isenberg said City prosecutor Hermann Hillebrand. The body of the victim who had been stabbed 11 times was found in Woods near bad Kreuz Nach six Days after the crime he said. The woman had been dragged naked into a secluded area where the men Alleg edly first tried to kill her by standing on her Throat he said. Hillebrand said the names of the soldiers Are being withheld pending filing of charges. Hillebrand said he thought it Likely the men would be turned Over to . Mili tary officials for prosecution. Both soldiers Are being held in pretrial confinement at the . Military confine ment facility in Mannheim according to 8th inf div spokesman maj. Michael Maher. He said . Officials Are investigating  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade