European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - March 31, 1991, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 2 b the stars and stripes sunday March 31, 1991 in the Gulf _ i at a glance i vie i,r4 a amp a be i six it Quot Quot 1% is f ssh Ali m. I m Quot ii a this is the time of year that Europe goes Bloom crazy. From the congestion at the Garden centers you a think everyone had a South 40, see sunday Magazine. Send in the Clown former members of Congress who legally converted leftover Campaign funds for personal use spent it on limousines hotels gifts and even a rented Clown. A paged deep in the red California gov. Pete Wilson said his state faces a $13 billion deficit. A. A a a a a a a a a a a a Page 5 less Money to go around . Air forces in Europe has about $14 million less to spend on operations and maintenance in fiscal year 1991 than it did in 1990. A Page 9 replicas in demand customers Are storming Hobby shops for scale models of the weapons that Defeated iraqi. A Page 15 Index commentary. A a a a 13 letters. A a a a 12 Money matters. A a a a 15 Mutual. 16 �17 sports. .18 �?�24 weather. A a a a 11 collection id time your stars and stripes Yanief wll be calling soon please have your payment ready. Cease fire pact won t Speed Mideast troop withdrawal by Luke Britt Middle East Bureau Riyadh saudi Arabia a families of troops serving in the Middle East should not expect a cease fire agreement to Speed the return of their loved ones military logistics experts say. About 6,000 service members a Day Are leaving the Region most on air Force f lanes said army maj. Gen. Dane staring director of logistics for the Central come. A a a a a he said the command does not plan to increase that number if the . Ceasefire agreement is signed. A a we re already operating on the Assumption that the United nations will reach some sort of cease fire agreement a a Starling said. A six thousand a Day is a comfortable rate that we can maintain without Messing something the 6,000 figure is higher than previously reported by the command. On March 20, a spokeswoman said 1,500 service members a Day had been leaving saudi Arabia. Starling said that although . Troops Are still dug in North of Kuwait and saudi Arabia sea and air ports have plenty of people to move. Thousands of medical personnel Are filling the exit Points along with combat divisions deployed Early in operation desert shield he said. Logistics experts at these exit Points said moving these service members tanks trucks and other heavy equipment slows Down the operation. Under the withdrawal rate of 6,000 troops a Day the 380,000 service members still in the area could be Home some time in june. But Starling said Central come leaders expect it to take about 10 months to move All the equipment out of the theater and some troops will have to be in the area until the last piece is loaded. A one of the main differences Between coming Over Here and going Back is that each piece of equipment right Down to the smallest Box must pass a customs inspection a said Marine col. John Holly the logistics officer coordinating the withdrawal of Marine forces at the port of jul bail saudi Arabia. The . Department of agriculture requires that All equipment brought into the United states be free from soil. The regulation stems from concerns about the importation of insects and Plant diseases that could harm american agriculture. Each unit must clean its own vehicles before they can be loaded on a ship or plane Holly said. For the marines a shuffling of equipment at the ports is also taking time Holly a said. Combat equipment that was stored in ships at Diego Garcia in the Indian oceans amps Luke Britt a humvee belonging to the 24th inf div Mech is loaded aboard a ship at King Abdul Aziz port in dam Mam saudi Arabia for return to the United states. Was issued to the first Marine divisions that landed in saudi Arabia. When these divisions equipment arrived weeks later much of it was issued to other units Holly said. Those marines Are trying to account for their own equipment before they leave the country. Safety is another Factor Holly said. A coming Over Here we did everything to the Max a Holly said. A we really pushed our Load Levels but there a nothing worse than to have someone injured or killed after the War because of a safety problem. Being Safe takes plane crashes in Gulf 2 guard airmen Safe Riyadh saudi Arabia a a Nevada National guard reconnaissance plane crashed into the persian Gulf saturday but the two crewmen ejected safely the . Central come said. The Rf-4c phantom was assigned to the 152nd tac recon group based in Reno Nevada. It was deployed to the Gulf for operation desert storm. The two Crew members were taken to a local Hospital but the extent of their injuries has not been determined the command said. Their names were withheld by the command. A a Board of officers will be convened to investigate the Accident Quot the command said in a statement. The command would not disclose the Type of Mission the aircraft was on. Since the temporary cease fire feb. 27, the . Military has maintained its reconnaissance flights in the Gulf particularly to gather information on the fighting in Iraq Between government and rebel forces. Forces Loyal to president Saddam Hussein have been using planes and helicopter gunships to put Down the revolt according to rebel reports. $ 10 million raised for Gulf War Relief Washington up a the american red Cross has raised $10 million of its $30 million Campaign to assist victims of the persian Gulf War and . Soldiers serving in the Middle East the organization said Friday. The Money is to be used to provide food water and medical Aid to refugees and the homeless in Kuwait and Iraq. Red Cross spokeswoman Ann Stingle said the expenses of its operations in the persian Gulf have already e exceeded $4 million
