Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, September 20, 1990

You are currently viewing page 3 of: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, September 20, 1990

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - September 20, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Thursday september 20, 1990 the stars and stripes a a a Page 3 communities react to news they re on Pentagon hit list service members civilians and West germans began wednesday to get used to the notion that their military communities were among the 150 installations or facilities the Pentagon will close or Cut Back. People in six communities reacted to the news with uncertainty disappointment and Joy. Reports from these cities follow. Munich the Pentagon shit list signals the demise of the Munich military Community though the precise Date is Uncertain said the Deputy commander col. Richard Manupella. Munich is the site of the 66th military intelligence brigade the european army and air Force Exchange service Headquarters and the University of Maryland Munich Campus. About 3,000 Active duty military people and civilian employees plus family members Are assigned there. A i done to have any dates a Manupella said. Other officials Are saying privately however that they expect the facilities to remain in operation for at least two years and perhaps longer. Bavarian minister president Max str Eibl is much More precise. He said wednesday that most of the closings will take place by 1993. The closures will help alleviate a severe housing shortage Streibl said in a statement. A this is a better Chance for Bavaria to take care of its people a he said. Nine military communities in Bavaria Are scheduled to be scaled Back or closed but Streibl expects a new list sometime in the future. A there will be More a he said. Employees said that Brig. Gen. Thomas Robison cafes Europe commander told them wednesday that those with two or three years left on their assignments could plan on spending that time in Munich. It. Col. Joe Cato cafes Europe spokesmen said no alternative site has been picked for the Munich Headquarters which has about 700 employees. Officials at the University of Maryland Munich Campus a two year school for about 600 students said there seems to be Little likelihood that a sudden move will be necessary. A we Are hoping that the Munich Campus will continue to operate for the immediate and foreseeable future a or. William Mcmahon said. The Campus is at Mcgraw Cavern which faces closure. University officials have said they Hope to remain in Munich. Manupella who earlier this year unveiled a multimillion Dollar plan to revitalize and rebuild portions of the Munich facilities said he Isnit surprised by the Pentagon announcement. A you done to Stop planning based on rumours a he said. A Steve Taylor Neu Ulm americans in Neu Ulm showed Little Shock or sadness wednesday to the news that the military Community will shut Down. Many of them Are scheduled to leave anyway because of the 1987 inter mediate Range nuclear forces treaty. A i think the ones who Are going to be Hurt the most Are the germans a said sgt. John Christman of Battery a 1st in 9th Field arty referring to military employees and downtown merchants. A i think they re pretty much Happy to have us  Christman who has lived in Neu Ulm vhf years said he enjoys the local West German Community and being so close to Southern european countries. The Neu Ulm Community is Home to about 3,200 Active duty personnel 4,800 . Dependents and . Civilian workers and employs about 400 local non americans according to Community spokeswoman Dagmar Ganser. Sgt. Daniel Hunt seemed unfazed by the announcement. A a there a not much Here. Its not much of a loss a he said. Hunt questioned Why the army had invested in improvements then deemed the facilities expendable. A this is Only 2 years old and now they re going to Cut it out a he said of the recent construction and renovation projects. The army has spent $75 million upgrading Pershing ii support facilities in Neu Ulm since 1983, said Nicholas she Stople the Neu Ulm Deputy director of engineering and housing. In addition $100 million has been spent on maintenance repairs and construction she Stople said. A a we be got what is probably one of the nicest housing areas in Usa eur a he said a reference to the Vorfeld housing area. One new arrival wont get a Chance to discover that. Paula Frey said she arrived with her four children on sept. 9, and already her husbands unit is being reassigned to Hohenfels. And their household goods have been lost in transit since july. A a they re always trying to save Money and now they re moving us again a she said. Spec. Julius l. Kinlow assigned to a Remote site in Fullendorf a half hour from the Swiss Border said his daughter rides vhf hours to school in Neu Ulm each Day. When the Community closes she will have to ride even farther to Stuttgart. Now a a we re talking about sending my daughter Back to the states to live with my Mother a he said. West German army staff sgt. Christian Becker said some employees have been Laid off at the merchants Bank Branch where his German wife Elisabeth works. She does no to expect her Job to last More than a year he said. The americans occupied the Neu Ulm area and its military but the Neu Ulm i facilities in 1945, itary Community word came late tuesday that seven installations in the Community Are to be closed. Fiori Barracks Graves Barracks Sger Cavern ready Barracks and Smith Barracks Are on the Pentagon a list As is the army Airfield and Supply and service depot. Only the military Community housing areas and training areas Are Safe for now. The Aschaffenbur Community includes 10,000 soldiers family members and civilians. Of those 4,500 soldiers 600 local National and 450 . Civilian employees work at the seven Sites targeted for closure. Beyond what son the list a we done to know anything a said a Schaffenburg a Deputy commander it. Col. Richard Benjamin. He said the Community has no details on reassignments. Nor has there been any word on when the seven installations will close he said. A there is no timetable for when and How this is going to be accomplished a Public affairs officer Bob Karr said. He said no units have been earmarked for inactivation. Aschaffenbur officials said they had no Advance warning. A we were waiting along with the rest of the world As to what the decision would be a Karr said. A a we la continue to take care of soldiers and their families. And continue to make this the Best possible place to work and live a Benjamin said about the Community recently named a Vii corps Community of excellence. Benjamin said it will be business As usual. A we could be Here five or six More years i done to  a John Millar was not established until 1951. At its Peak the Community operated out of eight major installations and five housing areas. But Between 1955 and 1965, the army released six installations and three housing areas to the West German armed forces. A Joe Owen Aschaffenbur Karen Rawlings adjust arrived at her new Home in Aschaffenbur when she Learned almost All of the facilities Are to be closed. A a in a hot off the plane i just got Here yesterday a said the Jet lagged Rawlings. Her husband staff sgt. Russell Rawlings had just dropped her off at Jager Cavern so she could look at the Post Exchange. A i  even Tell you where i live because i done to know a she laughed. She did know that Aschaffenbur was prominent on the list of facilities to be closed sometime before 1998. Like most of the soldiers family members and civilians living and working in Aschaffenbur that a about All she knew. Erlanger the mayor of Erlanger who wrote to president Bush asking that . Soldiers stationed in the City be among the first to withdraw is ready to write a second letter. A i was very very disappointed and the people of Erlanger have the same feeling too a Dietmar Hahlweg said wednesday after hearing that the Pentagon a list did not include any facilities in his City. A we thought that our reasons that Erlanger no a Ferris Barracks be closed in the first round would be so convincing for american and German authorities that they would accept them a said Hahlweg whose City of 100,700 is about 10 Miles North of Numberg. Hahlweg said the City a residents Are bothered by noise from military vehicles and night gunnery exercises. In addition he said the City increasingly needs the space occupied by the americans for commercial development housing and University expansion. Hahlweg also has picked up an ally in his Campaign. Max Streibl the minister president of Bavaria said wednesday that he will lobby for the closure of Ferris Barracks Home to the 1st army dives 2nd brigade. Hahlweg was among the first West German mayors to lobby for american troop withdrawals once the lessening of East West tensions changed the political climate in Europe. In january he wrote to Bush asking for the closure of Tenne Lohe training area and Ferris Barracks. A Effie Bathen 3&s map elsewhere in West Germany in the last half of fiscal year 1991, a spokesman said. The move will also affect 200 German workers and 200 american civilian employees assigned to the Post As Well As 900 family members. The special forces contingent is about All that a left of the bad Tolz military Community in the southernmost part of Germany. The 7th army no Academy and the communications electronic schools moved earlier this year. Army spokesman Hans Weindl said the destination of the unit is classified. He also said plans could change. A this is All planning nothing is definite a he said. Bad Tolz a City of 14,000, had fought hard to keep its american Post. Local officials had lobbied the american government in an efort to keep Flint Cavern open. Their efforts included a trip by the mayor to Washington. A the local folks Are All Shook up a said Weindl. A what they really want to know is when but no one will be Able to Tell you a he said. A i think the people Are disappointed a said Karl Bock an assistant editor at German daily newspaper bad Tolz Kun Rier. Bock said that although the local populace is eager to get the apartments occupied by the . Forces the americans have been an important part of the City and their departure Quot is not  a Steve Taylor bad Tolz the bad Tolz army military Community will cease to exist with the departure in 1991 of the 10th special forces group. The unit of 800 soldiers will move Frankfurt in Frankfurt lord mayor Volker Hauff was glad to hear that the Pentagon list includes five facilities in the City. A Shauff is particularly Happy with the decision to close Rose army Airfield the helicopter base in Bonames a said Jan von Trott huffs personal adviser. The Airfield will be closed after fiscal 1991. The other four facilities on the list Are Camp King Drake Barracks Michael Barracks and Edwards Barracks. Hauff will continue talks with the americans aimed at closing the Frankfurt shopping Center or at least reducing the amount of space used by it von Trott said. In april a plan to turn the shopping Center into a much needed City housing development was unanimously approved by the Frankfurt social democrats. Hauff then took this plan to the americans. At the time von Trott noted that because of the shopping Center the City loses a potential major source of tax Revenue. A Mary Neth  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade